PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here been following 'Rough-Cut Mac' on PBS?

Edward Mitton
01-17-2014, 9:53 AM
This guy is kind of interesting to watch as he is a hybrid woodworker. He uses hand tools on a lot of his projects - something you rarely see Norm or the Woodsmith Shop "Let's step over to the table saw" guys doing. Kind of refreshing, in a way. Only problem I have with Mac's show is that the pace is so fast, one can blink and miss a lot of the processes being shown. (Thank goodness for DVRs with slo-mo). It's kind of like watching a woodworking version of Iron Chef - a flurry of action with some wood and tools, then a brief look at the finished product. I also get a kick out of Mac's constant 'chuckling' during his narrative while he is putting together a project. He really seems to enjoy what he is doing. Isn't that part of the joy of woodworking?

Still doesn't come anywher near to St. Roy, though.......

Zach Dillinger
01-17-2014, 9:56 AM
Tommy's good on tv and a hell of a nice guy in person. He and Eli really know what they are doing and it comes through. I guess North Bennett Street School will do that for you.

I always enjoy the Rough Cut Road Trip segment, just wish it were longer. They could do whole episodes of nothing but a visit with Will Neptune and the like and I would watch every one.

Bob Glenn
01-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Yeah, nice guy, met him at WWIA. Unfortunately, he is on opposite of Roy.

Pat Barry
01-17-2014, 1:01 PM
I DVR the program every week and save my favorites, just like I used to do with Norm but have never done with any other woodworking shows except way back when David Marks was on the DIY channel..

David Weaver
01-17-2014, 1:14 PM
Never saw the TV show, but used to watch his videos when they were online free. They had lie nielsen tools on them, and got chopped up, but maybe some of them are still available with the LN tools edited out.

Not that tommy was a huge fan, he stuck to the very practical parts of woodworking in those old videos and mostly with inexpensive tools, but did have praise for the LN tools that were given to him.

I saw a chisel spot with him on youtube where he was obviously pushing the bubinga handled chinese made chisels that WC had sold at one point. Those were good chisels for the money when they were on sale, but the way they were being described made me kind of ashamed for Tommy having only seen his original very straightforward and very informative woodworking videos.

James Conrad
01-17-2014, 2:25 PM
I try to support the remaining woodworking shows left, I've watched his show on occasion, but as you said it is so hurried he seems to struggle with the format. Roy is the master of the 24 minute woodworking show, but would be nice if they allotted more time to show details. Plus, Tommy is tough to take on the show for me, he's got shiny squirrel syndrome.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SSUXXzN26zg

http://youtu.be/SSUXXzN26zg

Clay Fails
01-19-2014, 9:36 PM
Is Rough Cuts back on with new shows? I only seem to see reruns on the cable these days.