PDA

View Full Version : Filling nail holes before staining?

Steven J Corpstein
06-13-2005, 5:20 PM
What brand putty do you most of you use to fill nail holes before staining? I never seem to get the stain to take very well with the Minwax brand.

Steve Clardy
06-13-2005, 6:07 PM
Famowood solvent base filler. Fill just prior to sanding, so the sanding dust mixes into the filler. Solvent base dries FAST, so just fill a few holes and have the sander ready.
Steve

Jim Becker
06-13-2005, 10:45 PM
I don't fill nail holes until nearly the end of the finishing process...and then I use the small colored wax pencils so that the filler can be matched to the finished color of the wood. There really isn't any filler in the world (other than solid wood) that will take the dye/stain/finish the same way as your project material. By filling right before you final coat(s) of clear finish, you eliminate the matching problem. For woods that tend to darken over time, use a slightly darker filler pencil. For Walnut and any other species that lightens over time, use a slightly lighter color.

Jim W. White
06-14-2005, 10:17 AM
I second Jim B's recommendation. I use the wax pencils in the end stages of the finish. In my experience, I've had more consistent results this way. The additional bonus is that the wax pencils due not have any "shelf life" associated with them and the wood filler can get quite expensive when you factor in the waste. (please read, I let them dry out more often than not) :rolleyes:

...Jim W

Steven J Corpstein
06-14-2005, 6:42 PM
is astounding. I go into several forums from detailing cars (yes I'm really anal about them too) to pistol reloading forums, and none of them come close to the camaraderie and good will at this one. Thank you so much for your help and guidance. You all are truly gentleman and ladies.

jack duren
06-14-2005, 7:54 PM
easier just to use color putty ....jack