PDA

View Full Version : LED light bulb to install in a yard light

Larry Browning
01-17-2014, 9:48 AM
I want to find a decent light bulb to install in my yard light. An 75-100 watt incandescent bulb will only last about 6 months and a CFL seems to last a little longer maybe 8-10 months. It is sort of a pain to replace especially in the winter, so I want something that will last a bit longer. I have been looking online for an led that is equivalent to a 75-100 watt and everything seems to be much lower equivalent like 40-60 watt. Plus, I can't seem to find out if these new leds will operate in an outdoor environment in as yard light. The bulb should not get wet at all, but it will need to work in cold weather.
Any recommendation for a replacement bulb for my yard light would be greatly appreciated.

Dave Anderson NH
01-17-2014, 10:01 AM
Hi Larry,

I replaced for the third time a flood light and fixture on my garage/barn that shines down the driveway. My previous lights were halogens and would die quickly because of vibration caused by the wind and thermal cycling. I put in a LED unit which if I remember correctly is a 60 watt equivalent and it does a wonderful job. My major difficulty in finding an LED unit was in getting one that did NOT use a motion sensor. Most of the stuff at both HD and Lowes used sensor and with the wind and wildlife in my rural setting, previous fixture always had numerous bogus activations.

I think part of the key is making sure the light has a good reflector setup.

Duane Meadows
01-17-2014, 10:16 AM
Many municipalities are using them in traffic lights, and vehicles use them for brake lights and such. Cold should not be an issue! They are just solid state electronics, not much different than your radio or your cars computer!

I have had good luck with these...

https://www.torchstar.biz/ I have no connection other than being a satisfied customer.

Matt Meiser
01-17-2014, 10:21 AM
Our post lamp out front has 3 candelabra base LED bulbs from Costco in it that are going on at least a few years. Its enclosed so they stay dry other than condensation or maybe some wind-blown rain.

Brian Elfert
01-17-2014, 10:39 AM
Cree makes a 75 watt LED bulb that would probably work well for a yard light as the light comes out around the side of the bulb. I tried a Cree for indoor use and the way the light was distributed didn't work for me, but for a yard light should be fine.

John Huds0n
01-17-2014, 10:51 AM
Have you tried a 'rough service' bulb?

http://www.amazon.com/Bulbrite-100A-RS-Incandescent-Service/dp/B0030AYFEE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389973849&sr=8-1&keywords=Bulbrite+100A%2FRS

Kelly Craig
01-17-2014, 7:08 PM
I modified a motion light to accept an LED, which screwed into a standard socket. It's low wattage, but puts out more light than the original. They'll take a lot more shaking than an incandescent, and could care less about the temp. I only paid ten for it, which was much cheaper than the five I installed in the dine room cans (dimmable).

bill kaminski
01-17-2014, 8:02 PM
Larry..you may find this helpful..sencart.net..seem to have many choices bill

Myk Rian
01-17-2014, 8:43 PM
Have you tried a 'rough service' bulb?

http://www.amazon.com/Bulbrite-100A-RS-Incandescent-Service/dp/B0030AYFEE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389973849&sr=8-1&keywords=Bulbrite+100A%2FRS
You can get them a heck of a lot cheaper at homeclick dot com Like $1.22 for 60-75&100 watt.
http://www.homeclick.com/bulbrite-100a-rs-100w-130v-incandescent-a19-rough-service-bulb/p-498982.aspx

Kelly Craig
01-17-2014, 9:35 PM
Isn't CREE the type of LED? Without going back and looking at specs at the place I bought my under-cabinet lights, I think the direction is dependent on how they are mounted. For example, if they were all mounted on a cylinder, they'd push light out around it. If some were on the bottom of the cylinder, they'd throw it in a different direction.

If it holds up, the ten dollar screw in LED I got at the orange box will be worth it. For someone in an area where electricity is expensive (I have two dams within a few miles of me on the Columbia River), the pay off would be sooner.

My biggest reason for buying them would be longevity. The mercury puppies don't like being in confined spaces. Until I quit putting the cover back on one of my lights, they'd only last about six months. Could have done better with incandescent bulbs and less cost.

Brian Elfert
01-17-2014, 9:39 PM
Isn't CREE the type of LED? Without going back and looking at specs at the place I bought my under-cabinet lights, I think the direction is dependent on how they are mounted. For example, if they were all mounted on a cylinder, they'd push light out around it. If some were on the bottom of the cylinder, they'd throw it in a different direction.

Cree does make the actual LEDs, but they also make LED light bulbs most commonly sold at Home Depot. The Cree LED light bulbs broadcast pretty much all of their light from the sides with basically none from the top.