PDA

View Full Version : same planes for green woodworking?

Curtis Niedermier
01-17-2014, 9:18 AM
For those of you who do some green woodworking and, for lack of a better term, dry woodworking :), do you use the same bench planes for both? Or do you use different planes for the greener, wetter wood?

If so, why? Is it a matter of cutting action, iron size/type/bevel, sole material (metal vs wood), mouth opening, sap or pitch in the wood getting into the working parts, etc????

Steve Friedman
01-17-2014, 9:30 AM
Same planes, just need to keep them clean and dry. Nothing quite like the feel of a scrub plane slicing through green wood.

Steve

John Vernier
01-17-2014, 10:15 AM
I have been using wooden soled planes for green wood, mainly to avoid rust and staining on my iron planes. Oak is especially prone to stain iron because of the tannic acid in it, but any really green wood will leave water behind. I do take time at the end of a work session to pull the irons out of the planes and brush out the works, to make sure there are no sopping wet shavings to mess things up. I use paste wax liberally.

I keep the green woodworking kit pretty simple. I have transitional jack and jointer planes, and an old German horned scrub plane, which gets the biggest workout. I much prefer it to the Stanley type scrub plane, for the way your hands really grip the entire body of the plane and get you right down to the work. I don't worry about changing bevel angles or anything like that, but I don't worry about the larger mouth openings on the transitional planes, as tear-out isn't as big of an issue (and a fine finished surface isn't the goal).

Terry Beadle
01-17-2014, 4:37 PM
For green wood I use the same planes but set to lower angles as the wood is much easier to work.

I've a Japanese kana set to 40 degrees that is really sweet in green pine. It just flys through the wood and so far
I've not needed a dedicated scrub. I have another transitional Stanley set to 45 degrees with 3 degree micro bevel that
is really lite but will hog off material rapidly.

Clean and dry is good advice.

Jim Koepke
01-17-2014, 7:24 PM
I use pretty much the same tools.

As others have mentioned after working green wood it is mandatory to do a take apart and wipe down session. I tend to oil anything that needs oiling and then give a general wax and oil with my furniture oil rag after the clean up.

jtk