PDA

View Full Version : My Woodcraft Magazine

george wilson
01-16-2014, 9:23 PM
I have been getting this magazine for free for years. Once in a while they send me a subscription renewal letter,but I never renew. It just keeps coming. The cover price is $5.99.

Is anyone else getting this magazine for free? I can't figure it out. I never asked for it in the first place.

maximillian arango
01-16-2014, 10:03 PM
I wouldn't have posted this lol because next month you wont get one.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-16-2014, 10:07 PM
I used to get it occasionally until I moved. I wonder if my old roomate still gets it.

You original post was hilarious - why the edit?

Paul Saffold
01-16-2014, 11:55 PM
I liked your original post, George. It almost made the magazine appealing.

george wilson
01-17-2014, 8:00 AM
I thought the original post might be too much!:)

Paul McGaha
01-17-2014, 8:21 AM
George,

Is the magazine any good?

PHM

george wilson
01-17-2014, 8:45 AM
"Is the magazine any good?" How can I answer this question? Let's see,I hear it takes an I.Q. of 70 to tie your shoe laces.........

David Weaver
01-17-2014, 8:59 AM
I got it for free for a while a few years ago, but then it stopped. I can't remember why, or maybe I paid for it? Who knows. It seemed like an advertisement when I got it, it reinforced my thoughts that the best money spent is topical material that's published - and purchased used (without all of the advertisements for garbage gizmos to make a whole pile of tasteless finger jointed boxes or exposed machine made dovetails, etc).

(I purchased several of those taunton compilation hardback books that say they're supposed to be $40 for $5-$15 early on). Nothing is as valuable, though, as genuine curiosity, live people to discuss things with and experience.

Sean Hughto
01-17-2014, 9:02 AM
I flipped through one years ago, and so maybe it's changed. But then, my impression was that it was just a big advertisement dressed up with a bit of how to use the products contect that simulated an "article" here and there. Like have yoou ever seen those plainly identified as ads - inserts in other WW magazines from folks like Freud for router bits that will include a piece on how to make a cope and stick door when selling the routerbits to make the joints? It was kinda like a whole book of that.

Paul McGaha
01-17-2014, 12:18 PM
I flipped through one years ago, and so maybe it's changed. But then, my impression was that it was just a big advertisement dressed up with a bit of how to use the products contect that simulated an "article" here and there. Like have yoou ever seen those plainly identified as ads - inserts in other WW magazines from folks like Freud for router bits that will include a piece on how to make a cope and stick door when selling the routerbits to make the joints? It was kinda like a whole book of that.

Hi Sean,

That's about what I thought. I've never seen one but assumed it would have plenty of ads in it for items Woodcraft sells.

PHM

Jon Baxter
01-17-2014, 12:29 PM
I've been getting it for free for a couple years now, not usually too much of interest in it. I also get Woodworkers Journal for free, about the same quality most of the time.

Zach Dillinger
01-17-2014, 12:35 PM
I've been getting it for free for a couple years now, not usually too much of interest in it. I also get Woodworkers Journal for free, about the same quality most of the time.

I believe Woodworkers Journal is Rockler's internal magazine, so I imagine it would be similar in a lot of respects.

David Weaver
01-17-2014, 12:55 PM
I believe Woodworkers Journal is Rockler's internal magazine, so I imagine it would be similar in a lot of respects.

It is. There is a rockler extremely close to where I live. A long time ago, I asked them why they didn't have lie nielsen planes, and they said "we don't have the planes, but they'll gladly advertise in our magazines. Go figure".

That would've fallen apart, anyway, after LN decided they wanted to take control of the sale of their planes so they could really show people how to use a #8 as a smoother the right way.

Tony Zaffuto
01-17-2014, 3:26 PM
I loked through the plastic wrap at one once at a bookstore. Figured what was in it couldn't have been too good as they sealed it up, lest someone look inside and see it wasn't worth buying. So I didn't.

For the newstand cost of many magazines, with Amazon Prime membership (and even without) there are many, many good, used woodworking books available for basically the same price.

Metod Alif
01-19-2014, 10:53 AM
One of the ww mags sends me ads for Woodpeckers innovations. Very charitable...
Metod