PDA

View Full Version : 14 inch Powermatic Question

Lewis Ehrhardt
01-16-2014, 8:47 PM
I have recently acquired a 14-inch Powermatic bandsaw. My question is this: Is this saw a good candidate for a 6-inch riser? And if so, how well does it resaw [for those who might have a riser on one]? Thanks Lewis

Scott Vincent
01-16-2014, 10:13 PM
Cant speak from firsthand experience, but it seems to be regarded as one of the better cast iron style BS. Like all it just need a high quality blade appropriate to the materials you're cutting. Congrats on the purchase!

Carroll Courtney
01-17-2014, 9:14 AM
I guess its a newer BS cause the older 140,141 are solid one piece.If anything is accomplish by adding a riser is you get a long blade at just alittle increase in cost of the blade.First thing that comes to mind is flexing of the frame if applying to much tenison to the blade for resawing.Post some pics of the saw,love looking at new additions to the tool family----Carroll

John TenEyck
01-17-2014, 11:05 AM
I have an old CI Delta 14" BS with a riser block. I have no trouble resawing 10"+ hardwood veneer with it. Setting up the machine properly so that the blade cuts straight, with no drift, is key to getting good performance. It's not hard to install the riser block.

John

Edit: I should point out that I changed to a 1.5 HP motor, which really helps with resawing.

Brian W Evans
01-17-2014, 12:46 PM
I have the 14" PM, bought used several years ago. I immediately added the riser block, which wasn't too difficult but would have been much easier with two people. The saw works great - no alignment issues at all. I haven't done as much resawing as I thought I would, but I have done some 8-9" white oak without any problems.

The only issue I had was that the blower tube (connects to the motor to blow air away from the blade) wasn't long enough with the riser block installed. This is kind of a pain but not enough for me to actually do anything about it.

Good luck.

Bill Littler
01-17-2014, 1:25 PM
I just purchased this saw and the riser block was included free with my purchase. I'm going to wait until I'm done with the original blade and then install the riser block. So far I I love this saw. Using it more than I thought I would.

Bill