PDA

View Full Version : Drawer Slides

Rob Mathis
01-16-2014, 4:47 PM
I have a question for you being I have never made a cabinet before. I am planing on having 10 drawers total 5 on each side of the cabinet The outside dimensions is 48 L x 24 D x 20 T With a divider in the middle of the 48" . So I figure I can have 5 3" tall drawer boxes on each side of the divider. Question is if my boxes are 22" deep what drawer slides should I use? I want the drawer to open all the way past the front of the case. If I use 18' will this allow what I am trying to achieve?

Todd Burch
01-16-2014, 5:10 PM
You can use a 22" full extension slide just fine. If you use a 18" slide, 3-4" of your 22" deep drawer will still be in the cabinet. With a 22" slide, you'll be real close to the front, but not out past the front.

Some manufactures offer a over-slide option, so, as a fictitious example, in a 24" cabinet, with a 22" drawer, it might pull out 25". Search.

I typically use the KV 8400 series full extension slides.

Rob Mathis
01-16-2014, 5:15 PM
Todd, thanks!
This is what I was trying to figure out. I want them to be full extension.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-16-2014, 5:31 PM
Rob,

For my shop cabinets I often use these

http://www.wwhardware.com/kv-tt100-economy-100-lb-full-extension-drawer-slide-kvtt100

The only thing you need to be cautious about is the drawer width. Look at the installation instructions and nit-pick the drawer width when you build the drawers. If necessary, I have used washer to adjust to make the slides work properly.

I have dealt with this site and have always had good service. They offer bulk/quantity discounts too. No connection with them other than a satisfied customer.

Michael Dunn
01-16-2014, 5:39 PM
I'm pretty sure that 22" slides are the standard for standard base cabinets with a depth of 24". They even make over travel slides. 1-1/2" over travel is the largest I've seen.

Jim Neeley
01-17-2014, 2:06 PM
Regular slides typically have a C-shaped piece that mounts to the case side and a smaller one inside (or out) that attaches to the drawer.

To reach or exceed full travel, you need one stationary piece and two sliders, one inside the other. This typically makes the slide "taller", so check out the height before purchase. Some of the big ones I have are >3" tall.

Jim

Todd Burch
01-17-2014, 3:57 PM
A trick you can do is to use a 22" slide, and make a 21" drawer, and then it will give you the appearance of what you originally stated you wanted. :cool:

Rob Mathis
01-17-2014, 4:31 PM
I think I will just get the 22 inch ones and be done with it. As long as I am able to have the drawer box open to the face of the case this works for me.