PDA

View Full Version : Freud FT2000E Inconsistent Speed

Charlie Barnes
01-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Good Afternoon Everyone,

The last 2 times I've used my old (1995?) Freud FT2000E, I've noticed that the speed does not stay consistent. For what it's worth, I've got it mounted in a router table, but don't use it very often. In reviewing some of the threads, I've seen some mention of the variable speed control going bad. Is anyone familiar with this issue and the fix? I know that this model has long since been discontinued, but any leads on parts or repairs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Charlie

Curt Harms
01-16-2014, 7:52 AM
Charlie, I don't want to hear about that :eek:. I have an FT2000E in a table as well. So far so good, I just replaced the lower bearing recently. Routers with speed controller problems seem fairly common. DW618s have an issue with a tachometer magnet coming loose, Porter Cable 7500/8500 series routers had an issue with bad boards. I had the controller on my P-C 8529 go bad. I just removed the board, wired straight from the cord to the motor and use an external speed controller. I haven't used that router much at all since so don't know if the external speed control will shorten its life or not. I believe Freud has ceased selling power tools in the U.S. so I don't really know about parts. I did find this parts list if you don't have it:

http://www.freudtools.com/images/manuals/FT2000VCE.pdf

As you may know, Freud's cutter business was purchased by Bosch. Here's the listed info from freudtools.com

218 Feld Avenue
High Point, NC 27263
Phone: (800) 334-4107

May be worth a call if you haven't done so.

Charlie Barnes
01-16-2014, 12:43 PM
Thanks for the lead Curt. I'll follow up and see what they have to say.

Charlie