PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley Woodworkers Knife

Bryan Schwerer
01-15-2014, 10:43 AM
Sometime before Christmas I was going through the Lee Valley site looking for cheap gifts the kids could get me when I spotted this knife.

http://www.leevalley.com/US/gifts/page.aspx?p=58313&cat=4,104,53212,58313 (http://www.leevalley.com/US/gifts/page.aspx?p=58313&cat=4,104,53212,58313)

I haven't seen anyone mention it so I thought I would throw out a plug. I got a chance to use it this weekend and I really like it. It came out of the box almost sharp enough to shave arm hair cleanly and it just took a little honing to get it there. I like the hook for marking and it makes a clean deep line. It is sharp enough to pair the end of a dowel easily and trim a little splinter excess if the end of a board. It feels good in the hand and is is well made. For $8.50 it may be the best value on LV. Easily one of those things you can add on to get you over $40 for free shipping periods, not like that is a huge problem normally.

russell lusthaus
01-15-2014, 11:40 AM
I have had that knife for a while. It also works very well for stripping electrical insulation from wires. Good all around shop whittler.

Russ

Hilton Ralphs
01-15-2014, 12:00 PM
I bought one but didn't like the fact that the blade didn't retract properly into the handle. In other words it won't be a slim fit in a trouser pocket.

Well made though but I gave mine to my nephew but I'll probably get another one.

Another value for money product is the 21 LED mini torch that sells for exactly the same price. This is hectically bright and well worth the money.

Dave Anderson NH
01-15-2014, 12:28 PM
I'll agree on the LV LED flashlights Hilton. They are a very good deal. We have several scattered around the house because of power failures, occasional "look in the corner" needs, etc. They haved replace all of the old incandescent bulb flashlights since the batteries last so much longer.

Bryan Schwerer
01-15-2014, 12:43 PM
I bought one but didn't like the fact that the blade didn't retract properly into the handle. In other words it won't be a slim fit in a trouser pocket.

Well made though but I gave mine to my nephew but I'll probably get another one.

Another value for money product is the 21 LED mini torch that sells for exactly the same price. This is hectically bright and well worth the money.

I noticed that and I can see where that would bother you for a pocket knife. I pretty much keep mine on my bench.

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-15-2014, 1:51 PM
I've had that in my wish list for a while, waiting for an opportunity to add it to an order - but before it makes it to the cart I always felt like I've spent enough. I was thinking it might be nice for spitting pegs, if nothing else, LV says it's sturdy enough to hammer a bit.

john davey
01-15-2014, 4:34 PM
I have one as well and really do not use it to mark much but it is a handy little knife and well worth the price....John

Rob Lee
01-16-2014, 7:59 PM
Geez - now I'm going to have to get one of those.....!

;)

Rob

Robert Delhommer Sr
01-16-2014, 9:11 PM
Trying to make us spend more money. :)

Bryan Schwerer
01-17-2014, 8:38 AM
Geez - now I'm going to have to get one of those.....!

;)

Rob
I'm sure if you put it on your wish list and behave, someone might get it for you.