PDA

View Full Version : Wide belt sander troubleshooting

Loren Woirhaye
01-14-2014, 7:55 PM
I just bought a small JET 13" wide belt and going over it, replacing tubing and stuff like that.

I have everything working except the main motor. I think I need to upgrade my phase converter to get it to run properly.

In any case, I'm wondering how the oscillation works. Does the main motor just turn rapidly back and forth?

J.R. Rutter
01-14-2014, 10:00 PM
Not sure about the JET, but normally on the widebelts that I've seen there is a pneumatic cylinder that pivots the top roller front to back slightly to make the sanding belt travel side to side as it turns.

Loren Woirhaye
01-15-2014, 1:09 AM
Ok. Thanks. It has that. I thought it was a tracking adjustment.

Jim Andrew
01-15-2014, 7:46 AM
Did you get a book? The book with my Grizzly has explained every problem I have had. Was not aware there was a smaller widebelt than the 15" I have.

J.R. Rutter
01-15-2014, 9:14 AM
Ok. Thanks. It has that. I thought it was a tracking adjustment.

In a way, that's exactly what it does. The rest position is such that the belt tracks off towards one side. It triggers the cylinder by tripping an air jet or photo eye and tracks back towards the other side. Best of luck, a widebelt is a great addition.

Loren Woirhaye
01-15-2014, 10:50 AM
It's a 20 year old machine. It was used as a grainer for metal. JET got out of the wide belt business awhile back.