PDA

View Full Version : Delta 33-890 RAS questions

Brian Gleason
01-14-2014, 7:10 PM
I just picked up this saw. Not sure how old it is. Did some research before going to see it as i only had pictures of it in the guys shop to go by. Everything i read indicated it was a 12", 2 HP saw. Reading the specs on the motor (motor model C48YZFT-241), it says its a 1.5 HP motor. It is 220V.
Did Delta make different 33-890 types with different HP motors? Seems to be a great saw. Needs some refurbishing but seems solid, runs smooth. Paid $125.00. Good buy? Anyone have any experience with this saw? Any and all input appreciated.
Thanks

HANK METZ
01-14-2014, 7:33 PM
You stole it if you only paid $125 and it runs. The Delta turret models enjoy a solid reputation as a very robust, day in day out working mans' saw, enjoy your trophy.

Charles Coolidge
01-14-2014, 7:55 PM
Take the HP rating with a grain of salt, look instead at the amps. I found a listing for your motor that says it draws 7 amps at 230 volts, that's about 14 amps at 120v close to what most of the sliding miter saws are rated. Maybe someone swapped out the motor at some point. My 2HP Delta RAS motor from 1952 draws 14 amps at 230 volts or twice as much as a comparison. $125 is a good deal depending on condition, some guy on ebay want's $3,000 for your saw. ;)

John McClanahan
01-14-2014, 10:13 PM
What size is the arbor? My 10" Delta turret has a 1.5 hp motor and a 5/8" arbor. I think a true 12" saw has a 1" arbor.

John

Charles Coolidge
01-14-2014, 11:24 PM
Good question John, my 12" - 14" has a 1" arbor.

Erik Manchester
01-15-2014, 5:44 AM
Brian,

Congrats on a great saw at a bargain price. I picked up a Delta 33-083 14" RAS for $200 as it is 3 Phase and nobody at the auction wanted it. It is a great performer and the turret enables rapid adjustments with accuracy. My arbor is 1". As I understand it, Delta made each saw with various motor options, mine is 600v 5 HP.

Brian Gleason
01-15-2014, 6:38 AM
I'll check the arbor but i'm thinking it is 5/8". So it sounds like they did make different versions of this saw with different motors i guess? Is anyone aware of issues with the 1.5 HP? Was it originally 1.5 and later switched to 2 HP for some reason? I just like to get some history on a machine when i can.
Thanks for all the input.

John McClanahan
01-15-2014, 10:12 AM
The 10" and 12" saws look alike, but I thought the 12" was an overall bigger machine. The blade guard would be another indicator of the intended blade size. Even if it is a 10" saw, you got a good deal and will be happy with it.

John

Charles Coolidge
01-15-2014, 11:32 AM
Brian are you going to post pics of the saw? I'd like to see it.

Brian Gleason
01-15-2014, 3:56 PM
Yes, I will post some pictures shortly. Will be heading down to the shop soon and will take some and check the arbor size.

Brian

Rick Potter
01-15-2014, 5:40 PM
My 12" DeWalt is 5/8". I just put sizing washers in the 1" hole of the blades. I think they did that for using standard dado sets.

Rick Potter

Brian Gleason
01-15-2014, 6:27 PM
Attached are some pictures. It is a 5/8" arbor but i do believe it will take a 12" blade. It does appear to be a 1.5HP, 7 amp motor (from looking at the picture attached). I took the legs off while it was in my truck before unloading it. Plan to build it into a workbench (if i ever figure out how to lift it!). Will need help getting this one off the floor! It needs to be cleaned up, sanded, painted etc. but seems to run really smooth and quiet. Plan to use it primarily for dadoes i think. Have to find a use for it now that i have it. Just couldn't resist. I'm sure you ALL understand! Feel free to comment.:)

eugene thomas
01-15-2014, 7:03 PM
I have 12" and has 5/8" arbor. Use sizing washer . Good thing is can use my 8" Forrest dado blade on it.

HANK METZ
01-15-2014, 7:04 PM
Put "Make New Top System" on your to do list, it'll ensure you get maximum accuracy from the machine's precision. I have some facts and dimensions on a personal page that is DeWalt- centric (http://people.delphiforums.com/perristalsis/SawTableSystem/SawTableSystem.htm), but the concepts are applicable to all radial arm saws. I'll be updating the page in the next few weeks as even now I'm experimenting with newer designs that the average woodworker can easily construct.

Brian Gleason
01-15-2014, 7:57 PM
I posted some pictures but i don't see the post. maybe i did something wrong. I'll do only a few.

Bruce Wrenn
01-15-2014, 8:52 PM
The saw you bought is the same saw Norm used on NYW. It could run either 10", or 12" blades (with bushing.) Bushings can be had for around $1.50 each, the last time I bought some. DeWalt Service Centers, and Freud have them, along with others. Over the years, Delta used several motors on your saw. Looks like you are missing lower "leaf guards." Unfortunately, new Delta parts are impossible to find, but you make your own using some polycarbonate. The AMAZING thing about your saw is Delta listed it as PORTABLE, even though it weighs in at 300#. Portable meant, that with the table removed, two guys could carry it through a 3-0' door.

Garth Almgren
01-15-2014, 9:25 PM
Your earlier pics are there. :)
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?212679-Delta-33-890-RAS-questions&p=2210070#post2210070

John R Green
01-15-2014, 10:16 PM
Brian

You got a good deal !

I bought a 33-890 12" w/ 2HP for $325 - great condition last summer.

Just bought 33-??? (sticker missing) 12" w/ 1.5 HP for $250 last month for a friend.

Same casting numbers on the parts, just different HP motors.

Maybe someone else could solve the mystery

Use the RAS all the time for the type work I do.

John

Erik Manchester
01-16-2014, 5:58 AM
Brian,

I have an engine hoist that I find very helpful when lifting old arn as it will lift heavy items safely and allow me to re-position them when needed. They are not too hard to find used for very little, and are easier to find than three strong friends with time on their hands.

John McClanahan
01-16-2014, 8:04 AM
So, does this mean the only real difference between the 10" and 12" 1.5 HP saws is the blade guard size?

John

Brian Gleason
01-16-2014, 12:57 PM
Great idea! Searching for an engine hoist as i type!

Charles Coolidge
01-16-2014, 2:04 PM
Brian that saw doesn't weigh that much, go grab a cheap chain hoist at Harbor Freight and hook it to a board placed across a couple of rafters. I think I paid $50 for my Harbor Freight hoist and lifted a 19" bandsaw that weighs way more than your RAS with it. Just a suggestion.

HANK METZ
01-16-2014, 2:37 PM
I installed a low- tech solution to lifting machinery that I restore, the H.F. comealong. Image is first version, I now have a hardwood bridge spanning two joists that it hangs from, the wife is much happier now. :o
http://people.delphiforums.com/perristalsis/Sweethearts/Sling%20Lift.JPG

shane lyall
01-16-2014, 5:21 PM
My 10 inch does have the 5/8 arbor and the 12 has the 1 inch. As far as I know, that's pretty standard. My 10 inch has the 1.5 horse and I use it to spin about 3/4 inch of an 8 inch dado stack with no issues at all. It's a great little saw and built like a tank. I upgraded from an old Emerson made Craftsman(not a bad saw when set up and left alone BTW) but the Delta is in another league. It returns to its setting every time and doesn't sag as it's slid out. You got a steal, enjoy.

Bill ThompsonNM
01-16-2014, 5:36 PM
I installed a low- tech solution to lifting machinery that I restore, the H.F. comealong. Image is first version, I now have a hardwood bridge spanning two joists that it hangs from, the wife is much happier now. :o
The Harbor Freight chain hoist does the same job much more conveniently. Pull one direction for up and the other direction for down, no wrangling with the ratchet to get down little by little. It was cheap and rated at 1 ton or more. Been a while since i bought it

Garth Almgren
01-16-2014, 5:47 PM
The Harbor Freight chain hoist does the same job much more conveniently. Pull one direction for up and the other direction for down, no wrangling with the ratchet to get down little by little. It was cheap and rated at 1 ton or more. Been a while since i bought it
Their 1 ton chain hoist is on sale right now for $45(!). Item #69338. Add a 25% Val-Pak coupon, and it comes down to less than $34. Not too bad!

HANK METZ
01-16-2014, 6:42 PM

It was a cheap fix for an occasional need, at $15 it was the deal at the time, but like a lot of H.F. stuff it need a little detailing to make it work smoothly, I leave it in place and can walk under it without banging the old skull once the slack is taken up. I originally was looking for a simple rope fall, having seen them used in a shipyard for removing valves from boiler rooms that must've weighed upwards of a ton, but all that was around were the bike lift ones and they were more expensive than the come-along sooo...

Brian Gleason
01-16-2014, 8:05 PM
You guys are the best! Had an email from HF with a 20% off coupon, got myself a 1 ton chain hoist. Will work beautifully for what i need it to do!
Also glad to hear about the success with Dadoes since that is my planned primary use, at least for now. Saw seems like a tank! I am glad to hear it was a wise choice!
Thanks Everyone!

Charles Coolidge
01-17-2014, 2:43 AM
Brian wear some old gloves with that chain hoist, the chain is filthy. Also your local farm supply store is a great place to pick up pins and shackles and lifting rigging.

Bill ThompsonNM
01-17-2014, 4:46 AM
One little tip, I have an old paint can suspended below my hoist to collect the greasy lift chain as it comes out when lifting. If you hang it just right it collects it nicely as you raise something. When not in use the hook is raised, most of the lift chain is in the paint can and the lighter control chain is pulled off to the wall and hung over a nail out of the way.

You know when growing up I used to see chain hoists all the time, in every gas station repair shop and many residential garages but I've never seen any used ones for sale. Always puzzled as to where they all went.

HANK METZ
01-17-2014, 8:26 AM
If you are going to leave it in place a chain bag is a must, keeps it relatively clean and out of your face.
http://www.cm-et.com/images/image.aspx?id=6367