PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for Plaque Plate Supplier

Ross Moshinsky
01-14-2014, 5:56 PM
JDS's plates have simply too many issues. I order 6 plates to get 4 good ones and even then, one of the "good" ones is questionable. I'd like to avoid Marco. I simply don't like dealing with them and their pricing structure is my least favorite. Plus, they pretty much have the same stuff as JDS. PDU only has one style. Tropar used to be our go-to place, but even their quality has dropped relatively considerably over the past 3-4 years where it's not exactly worth the premium price.

Anyone have a supplier that can get me 6 good plates out of 6 and has at least a few different styles to choose from? By 6 good plates I mean no noticeable marks, scratches, dings, dents, or surface issues.

Mark Sipes
01-14-2014, 6:14 PM
Goog Luck, JDS and PDU both carry Victory and that is what I use. 85% on the quality scale. Its the dust specs that get me!

Mike Null
01-15-2014, 8:48 AM
Victory is probably the best but 100% quality is a tall order.

I usually use JDS plaques and cut my own plates or I order the entire piece from Tropar.

Ross Moshinsky
01-15-2014, 9:07 AM
The issue is I'm not talking about 100% quality. I'm talking about 90% quality on 6 plates. We charge a reasonable amount for our plaques and then to turn around and hand out plates with marks and dents is difficult. Right now I'm getting about 85% quality on 4-5 plates and 1-2 are rejects. That's a horrible rate. Acrylics and plaque boards I would say my rejection rate is sub 5% in comparison.

Mike we also use a lot of completed Tropar plaques and I also cut my own plates most of the time. On certain orders, I need bulk designer plates and its a drag buying extras and always having to pick from the best of the worst. Yesterday I had 4 plaques to run on florentine plates. I bought 6 plates. 3 were good. 1 I couldn't use. Two I wouldn't have used 5 years ago but now am forced to. How do I hand out an item with a scratch on the plate or a dent? It's really difficult.

Also don't get me started on sheet goods. The quality of sheet goods has gone way down hill. I'm very pleased that JDS picked up the new sheet good line. I've used them from another distributor and the quality is about 5-10% better.

Mike Null
01-15-2014, 12:19 PM
I use black/gold steel plate for the most part and the JDS stock has been very good. Designer plates from JDS have been as you say.