PDA

View Full Version : If You Find Granite Countertop Material

Jim Koepke
01-14-2014, 5:37 PM
A lot of folks have found sink cutouts from counter top shops to be good for scary sharp surfaces.

If you have a chance, pick up two. Use the other in the kitchen for heating pizza in the oven. That is if you like a crispy crust.

jtk

harry strasil
01-14-2014, 8:35 PM
The Samples the cabinet dealers toss out when the styles change is good for sharpening too.

bridger berdel
01-14-2014, 11:46 PM
I got a 12 x 12 granite tile that checks out to be pretty flat for a dollar. works for me.

Jim Koepke
01-15-2014, 2:13 AM
I got a 12 x 12 granite tile that checks out to be pretty flat for a dollar. works for me.

For scary sharp of for pizzas?

That would be to small a pizza in this house.

The idea with a pizza is to get the stone hot so it makes the crust crisp.

jtk

Glen Johnson
01-15-2014, 6:54 AM
Do you recommend the LV straight edge to see how flat the pizza crust is?

Joe Tilson
01-15-2014, 8:59 AM
They look pretty flat when frozen; it's what the heat process does to it that distorts it. The pizza guys not the granite.

Russ Kupiec
01-17-2014, 11:01 PM
Pepperoni-- inlay or overlay?

Jim Koepke
01-18-2014, 12:50 AM
Pepperoni-- inlay or overlay?

My favorite pizza is from Zachary's in Berkeley, CA. It is a stuffed pizza so I guess it is an inlay.

jtk

--Pepperoni and sausage, yumm!

Jeff Bartley
01-18-2014, 8:54 AM
Jim,
What temps do you use cooking pizza? Pizza is very important in our house too! I know some rock can explode when heated to high temps, have you ever had a piece of granite crack in the oven?

Jim Koepke
01-18-2014, 2:01 PM
Jim,
What temps do you use cooking pizza? Pizza is very important in our house too! I know some rock can explode when heated to high temps, have you ever had a piece of granite crack in the oven?

Jeff,

This was a suggestion I am sharing from another site. I have not done this yet.

Their recommendation was to preheat the oven/stone to 450-500º for a crispy crust.

jtk

Tony Zaffuto
01-18-2014, 2:28 PM
Do you also preheat the granite for scary sharp?

Jim Koepke
01-18-2014, 4:56 PM
Do you also preheat the granite for scary sharp?

No, the aggressiveness of sharpening will usually do that. :rolleyes:

jtk

Bill White
01-18-2014, 8:21 PM
Not to be a nay-sayer, but I'm not putting a natural granite in a 450 degree oven. I do have a sink cut out as a surface plate.
Price was right. FREE!!!
Bill

Rick Markham
01-18-2014, 8:31 PM
They look pretty flat when frozen; it's what the heat process does to it that distorts it. The pizza guys not the granite.

That distortion is due to the heat treating process, the only solution is a gentle cooling in air and then quenching in the mouth ;)

Steve Voigt
01-18-2014, 9:19 PM
My favorite pizza is from Zachary's in Berkeley, CA. It is a stuffed pizza so I guess it is an inlay.

jtk

--Pepperoni and sausage, yumm!

That place rocks!! My wife won their poster contest one year. I think the poster is still hanging up in the restaurant. That's the only pizza in California that can hang with Lou Malnati's.
I was back in Chicago over the holidays and packed the trunk of my car with frozen Malnati's. My freezer is pretty full right now. :D

Jim Koepke
01-19-2014, 1:56 AM
the only solution is a gentle cooling in air and then quenching in the mouth

I understand for quick quenching in case of extreme mouth heat beer is the preferred quenching fluid.

jtk