PDA

View Full Version : What are you watching on Netflix?

Larry Browning
01-14-2014, 1:41 PM
There is another thread which started out asking about Netflix vs Amazon Prime and a few of us had a couple of title recommendations in that thread.
It occurred to me that it might be interesting to start a whole new thread dedicated to what each of us are currently watching or have recently watched that we would recommend to others. My wife and I have gotten to the point that we watch way more Netflix than we do Directv. About the only thing I watch on Directv anymore is the local news and live sporting events. Otherwise I would drop it.
Anyway, here is my list of what I am watching on Netflix:
Folye's War
Flashpoint (from a recommendation on the other thread)
White Collar
Life
Leverage
Emily Owens MD (My wife like this one. Sadly, it only has one season)
Continuum
Damages

List of some others we have already watched:
Battlestar Galactica (there are maybe 75-80 episodes, some are better than others, I actually quit watching this one, but the first season is pretty good)
Burn Notice
The Bletchley Circle (This is a very good 3 episode mini series murder mystery )
Terriers (possibly my favorite, Sadly only one season as well)
Firefly (this is a sci/fy western, Very good!) Stars the same guy who plays Castle on ABC
The Tudors
Hiroshima BBC History of WWII (This is very interesting account of the dropping the A-bomb on Hiroshima)

What are you watching on Netflix?

Judson Green
01-14-2014, 1:53 PM
All the Breaking Bad that available in the US (I've heard ya download this app that tricks Netflix to thinking you are in the UK and then ya can watch the 2nd half of season 5)

All of the Walking Dead

Just started Orange is the New Black

The Trailer Park Boys movies, haven't watched the shows yet

Other movies

Started American Horror stories, might go back to it.

Started Sons of Anarchy, might go back to it.

Gordon Eyre
01-14-2014, 1:58 PM
My favorite was 24, but also liked Flash Point, Foyle's War and another cop series from Norway the name for which has escaped me for the moment. Some others are 4400, Burn Notice, Scandal, Continium, Firefly, and several series from BBC. I also catch some of the recent movies as they come out on Netflix. Due to my poor hearing I have given up watching them in the theater and love my earphones at home.

Prashun Patel
01-14-2014, 2:05 PM
Breaking Bad (the best, IMHO)

Mad Men
Orange is the New Black
Walking Dead
Damages (first 3 seasons, amazing).

Ole Anderson
01-14-2014, 4:00 PM
Together my wife and I have used Netflix (both DVD and streaming) and caught up on previously missed seasons of Castle, NCIS, Saving Grace, Bones, Firefly and Criminal Minds.

Stephen Cherry
01-14-2014, 4:07 PM
Just finished Gossip Girl, now I'm working on Desperate Housewives.

Yea, I know. Kind of kreepy.

Prashun Patel
01-14-2014, 5:40 PM
Desperate Housewives...wasn't that produced by Mark CHERRY?
hmmm....

Stephen Cherry
01-14-2014, 5:56 PM
Desperate Housewives...wasn't that produced by Mark CHERRY?
hmmm....

Maybe that's a distant cousin.

Greg Portland
01-14-2014, 8:08 PM
I've been enjoying House of Cards.

Netflix also has an excellent group of documentaries including:
- Man on Wire
- Jiro Dreams of Sushi
- Senna
- Hoop Dreams
- The National Parks (Ken Burns)
- Restrepo
- The Art of the Steal
- Inside Job

Andrew Fleck
01-14-2014, 8:19 PM
I see we have no Dr. Who fans around here. If anybody is interested they have both new and old episodes to include the classics with Tom Baker. I'm on a Dr. Who kick hence the picture.

Charles Wiggins
01-15-2014, 9:37 AM
Netflix, Hulu (the free version), YouTube and sometimes Crackle are all I watch. Our TV is in the basement with no cable, sattelite, or antenna so we don't get any "regular" TV. We have a PS3 that we use to watch NetFlix & DVD/Blu Ray. I can do YouTube and Crackle on it too. Won't do the free Hulu, so I have to watch that on the computer. Occasionally, I'll hook the computer up to the TV, so I can watch Hulu on the big 55" screen. (Don't have any PS3 games at all. Didn't buy it for that.)

In keeping with Larry's question I am going to stick with NetFlix alone. On top of the list of series below there are a number of movies I have queued up, but I won't get into them.

Currently:
30 Rock
Alphas
Andy Griffith Show
Auction Kings
Burn Notice
Continuum
Dual Survival
Leverage

Watched the Complete Run (Available So Far):
Ax Men
Battlestar Galactica/Caprica
Dick Van Dyke Show
Firefly/Serenity
Glee (Watching Current on Hulu)
Kolchak: The Night Stalker
Last Man Standing
Lost
Malcolm in the Middle
Mythbusters
Once Upon a Time (Watching Current on Hulu)
Pawn Stars
Revolution (Watching Current on Hulu)
Rules of Engagement
Entire Star Trek franchise
Entire Stargate franchise
Scrubs
Supernatural (Watching Current on Hulu)
That 70's Show
The Colony
The IT Crowd (UK)
Walking Dead

Series I Intend to Try Out or Get back to Someday:
Alias
Breaking Bad (maybe)
Chuck
Dirty Jobs
Dragnet
Eureka
Farscape (Just lack the last episode. I keep hoping the Peacekeeper Wars will turn up.)
Psych
Rockford Files

Series I Have Given Up On (For now):
Leave It to Beaver
Don't Trust the B---- in Apartment 23
Mad Men
Nikita
The Office

David Weaver
01-15-2014, 9:50 AM
Doc Martin.....except on prime.

That's it.

Andrew Fleck
01-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Doc Martin.....except on prime.

That's it.

My wife and I just got done with that. Suprisingly good show.

Larry Browning
01-15-2014, 12:42 PM
Watching TV these days can be a whole lot different than it used to be. It is now possible to watch all the episodes of a show in one sitting or to string them out however you want. We are still experimenting with finding the different ways. What we are doing now is picking out one of the several we are currently watching and watch maybe 2 episodes in a row. Then the next TV night watch something else. When we finish a series we look for something to replace it. We try to have 4 or 5 shows going at a time.
How do you do it?

Jim Matthews
01-15-2014, 7:55 PM
Firefly.

Any Miyazaki I can find.
Real Housewives of Bergen County.

Backdoor to Las Vegas 5.
(I cry every time.)

John Coloccia
01-15-2014, 8:08 PM
Pianomania is brilliant.

Jim Falsetti
01-15-2014, 10:01 PM
We cut the cable a few years ago and there is no decent free TV reception in this area. Stuck to DVDs for a long time, then the local video store closed; around the same time we finally got a faster internet connection. With the new kinda-sorta faster internet connection, and as a result of being TV-deprived for so long, we binged on lots of shows. Found we would watch too much television...currently watching Chuck. It's ok for comedy.

Pat Meeuwissen
01-16-2014, 7:38 PM
Just caught up to the last 5 seasons of Sons of Anarchy!! Great story. Not for the kids thats for sure.

Chris Parks
01-16-2014, 7:49 PM
We haven't got access to Netflix but I am curious as to how the costing works. Are all the above shows included in a basic tariff or do you have to pay extra for any or all?

Jeff Bartley
01-16-2014, 7:56 PM
I love this thread! We haven't had cable/reception for 8 or so years so it's DVD and Netflix for us. We haven't watched that much TV in recent years (we have young kids) but we did watch Homeland. I didn't expect it to hold my attention so well.
I'm now ruined for normal TV: I just can't take the commercials anymore. Watching a show without the commercials is awesome!

Jeff Bartley
01-16-2014, 7:59 PM
Chris, We get one movie at a time and it's $9usd/month. If you're fast on the return you can certainly get your money's worth! There's another price for a streaming + dvd option but I'm not sure how much that costs.

Charles Wiggins
01-16-2014, 8:17 PM
We haven't got access to Netflix but I am curious as to how the costing works. Are all the above shows included in a basic tariff or do you have to pay extra for any or all?

Unlimited streaming is $7.99/month plus tax.

Chris Parks
01-16-2014, 8:35 PM

Awesome price!!!

Brian Kerley
01-17-2014, 12:11 PM
I've found some amazing foreign films, if you like action.

The Man from Nowhere
Point Blank
Oldboy
Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance
Elite Squad: Enemy Within
Vengeance

Hopefully you don't mind subtitles

Larry Browning
01-17-2014, 1:30 PM
I believe you can stream up to 3 devices at the same time with this price. Meaning that if you have 3 TVs connected to some sort of streaming device, you can watch different shows on all 3 at the same time.
In addition to 2 TVs connected to Netflix, we have 2 tablets and 2 phones with Netflix app installed. One Saturday afternoon we had 2 grandkids each watching Netflix on a tablet and me watching a show on the living room TV and it didn't skip a beat.

Also, I don't know about the other services, but all the shows on Netflix are commercial free, which cuts the running time of an hour show down to around 43 minutes.

Lucy Green
01-18-2014, 2:49 AM
Gossip Girl
RobinWright
The Square(know it from a game (http://www.wowgold2k.com) forum)

Larry Whitlow
01-21-2014, 8:17 PM
Aw man, Netflix is missing the last season of Foyles War. Not there yet but just learned of this. Bummer.