PDA

View Full Version : My First big Harbor Freight power tool

Mike Olson
01-14-2014, 1:27 PM
I use a lot of hand held HF power tools and have never had any of them fail on me but I have never purchases a larger power tool from them. I usually go with CraigsList thinking used is cheaper and better than HF stuff.

Well, since this is Extra Paycheck month for me. 1/2 goes towards stuff we have been wanting and the other 1/2 gets put away.

I have been wanting a Radial Arm Saw for a while because way back, i used one a lot for 1/2 lap joints and rough cutting to length, but I just don't have the room for one.

When I got an e-mail coupon yesterday for the HF 12" sliding compound miter saw for $139.99 I decided to look closer and i discovered you can limit the cutting depth to do the same thing with these. :) I just got back from picking it up during lunch along with some more clamps, 12 gauge extension cords, a 20 gauge air stapler, and a couple other items.

I'm going to be sitting down with some paper in my shop tonight trying to figure out how the heck to mount this thing above my snow blower. It's 42" from front to back, but it will store in an area only 19" deep if you pull the saw forward and lock it, then put it at a 45* "borrowed a tape measure in the store". and since I only have 20" available on the side of the garage when my car is pulled in, it's going to take some engineering feats to get it right.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-14-2014, 1:29 PM
Mike,

If the HF SCMS is like my Delta, the arbor isn't long enough to accept a dado blade, thus you are limited to taking 1/8" cuts at a time.

I hope it works out for you!

Mike Olson
01-14-2014, 1:39 PM
Mike,

If the HF SCMS is like my Delta, the arbor isn't long enough to accept a dado blade, thus you are limited to taking 1/8" cuts at a time.

I hope it works out for you!

That's what I did with the RAS so i'm OK with that.

Charles McKinley
01-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Check out he MSUV by Ridgid (home Despot) I have the older version and it makes moving and storing the saw very easy. They are pricey but can be found used.

John McClanahan
01-14-2014, 10:42 PM
You need to ban cars from the workshop! :D