PDA

View Full Version : Delta 3 wheel band saw

Kevin Ludens
01-14-2014, 10:02 AM
I have recently purchased a Delta 28-560 metal/wood cutting 3 wheel band saw. When I got it home I realized that it only contained the metal cutting drive pulley. I have looked high and low on the internet for a replacement wood cutting drive pulley, but the part has been discontinued and is no longer available anywhere. I was wondering if anyone had one of these band saws and could tell me what size the wood cutting drive pulley is so I might be able to make a new pulley or find something else that might work. Also, if anyone has one of these pulleys that they would be willing to sell, I would be interested in that too. Thank you for your time and help.

Kevin

Kent A Bathurst
01-14-2014, 10:28 AM
Check out vintagemachinery-dot-org. They might have the owners manual and/or parts list in their publications section.

Or - Google is your friend. Go to toolpartsdirect-dot-com. They appear to have all the parts you would need.

Gus Dundon
01-14-2014, 3:10 PM
Googled, try to inquire on mikes tools site. Or go to owwm site. Someone might have the same saw with yours- who's maybe parting out the saw parts.

Kevin Ludens
01-14-2014, 3:52 PM
I have tried all those sites and had no luck. Everyone is unable to get this part. I have looked at the manual and it gives no spec on what size this pulley is. I was hoping that someone on this site had the same saw and could give me some info on it. Thanks for your help though.

John Schweikert
01-14-2014, 4:17 PM
I'm sure someone with a metal lathe could fabricate one. The dimensions could be calculated for the correct speed.

Lee Schierer
01-14-2014, 4:20 PM
Commonly wood cutting bandsaw blades move at about 1000 feet per minute. Metal cutting saws typically run from 90-200 feet per minute. Look at you motor and determine the rpm rating. Then measure the pulleys and calculate how fast the drive wheel is turning. That will tell you the current blade speed. Work through the math and see what size motor pulley you need to reach 1000 fpm. Then go to an industrial supply store with your current pulley and have them fins one with the right shaft hole and diameter to get to your blade speed.

Kevin Ludens
01-14-2014, 4:37 PM
From what I have read, I was thinking that the blade speed should be between 2000-3000 fpm blade speed. Is this way too fast?

John Lanciani
01-14-2014, 7:27 PM
Commonly wood cutting bandsaw blades move at about 1000 feet per minute.

My 14" Delta runs at 3000fpm and my 20" MiniMax at +/- 5000. Even my 1937 10" Delta runs much faster than 1000, it runs 2200 fpm.

glenn bradley
01-14-2014, 7:39 PM
Pulley calculator: http://www.blocklayer.com/pulley-belteng.aspx

John McClanahan
01-14-2014, 10:19 PM
I have a 12" Craftsman 2 wheel that runs just under 3000 FPM. I once had a 3 wheel Craftsman that seemed to run slower. Maybe 2000 FPM (?).

John

Kevin Ludens
01-15-2014, 8:19 PM
According to my math, if I had a 5" drive pulley I would get a little better than 2200 fpm blade speed. I think that should work alright. Any thoughts?

Erik Loza
01-15-2014, 8:41 PM
4,000-5,000 fpm is a pretty ideal blade speed for a wood cutting bandsaw. "Faster" is preferable to "slower" on wood.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Chris Yerger
05-27-2014, 1:15 AM
Not sure if you ever got the info you needed but I have one of these saws and would be willing to get you any info you need but I need a picture of a part as well from yours. There's a small retainer bracket that my wife broke and then lost so I don't have the pieces to know what it originally looked like. Please contact me at cyerger57@yahoo.com
Thanks
Chris

Rick Potter
05-27-2014, 11:14 AM
I realize the thread is old, but if the OP is still out there, there is no pulley for metal cutting that I know of. I have the saw, bought new, and it has three pulley's the blade rides on, which are all 7 1/2". The drive pulley attached to the motor is 4 7/8 without the tire.

Chris, let me know what you are missing, perhaps I can take a picture.

Rick P

EDIT: I just read Joseph's post below, and it made me go out to the shop after midnite to check my saw out. There is a label on the saw that mentions cutting metal with a .014 thick blade. Same thickness as the wood cutting blades.

Next, I got out the manual, and it tells me there is a separate belt that rides on the shaft, no pulley, just like Joseph said. The funny thing is that there is a copy of the sticker on the saw in the manual, showing what blade to use for various cuts. This label says use a .020 thick blade for cutting metal, 18 or 24 tpi. The manual also shows the shorter belt to be used with the metal blade.

My saw did not come with the shorter belt. I bought it new 3-1--89. I am guessing that Delta stopped providing the metal cutting belt, and put the different label on the saw .

I learn something new every day. My saw must have been the new 'improved' version.

Joseph Durnya
05-27-2014, 11:02 PM
Hey Guys,

so there is no pulley for metal cutting.... a shorter belt rides directly on the shaft.... I sold my saw a couple years ago so Im not sure how large the wood pulley is.. just know you have to have the pulley and the longer belt..

HTH

Joe

Chris Yerger
05-29-2014, 7:10 AM
So, The thing with there being no pulley for metal cutting is correct. That's the way mine works as well. What I'm looking for is a 419-96-314-0001 BRACKET ASSY that shows up as part number 51 on the breakout drawing from Delta at all the parts web sites. So I go to Google and just type in 28-560 and it gives a whole list of places with parts, here's one, http://www.acetoolrepair.com/parts-delta-for-28-560.html
It holds the vertical position for the top set of bearings to allow for different heights. My wife broke this part and managed to loose it before I could order one. Now I find that they are now longer available so I have to have something made up but Delta doesn't have any shop drawings with dimensions, at least that they are willing to share.

What would really help is some pictures but please try to get close ups with a tape or ruler laying next to it so I have some good specs to have something machined. My direct email is cyerger57@yahoo.com if you're willing to help.

Thanks
Chris

Rick Potter
06-02-2014, 2:39 AM
Chris,

I haven't forgotten you, just very busy. I have the part off the saw, and will try to take pics of it this week. It is so simple I think a 6th grader could make it, so hang in there.

Rick P

Chris Yerger
06-02-2014, 7:11 PM
Thanks Rick,
Appreciate your help. It's really been a bummer having a nice saw like this that doesn't work because of a $10 broken part. I almost bought a whole used saw that was pretty hammered just to get that part.
Chris

Rick Potter
06-04-2014, 2:49 AM
OK, Chris,

here is my 5th attempt.

Here is a pic of the part. It is a simple 3/8 x 1" bolt, with a 1" stirrup attached. Pretty simple to make. You could probably make one without a welder by using HD plumbers tape and putting the bolt through it.

This is an overview of the machine.

If you look closely you can see the stirrup attached to the guide column. It simply pulls it tight against two machined grooves in the casting to hold it straight. It doesn't take much to hold it tight

Hope this helps. Sorry the pics are not the best....computer idiot. I cannot even rearrange them. I had to add each one separately, redoing the post over and over.

Rick P

Chris Yerger
06-06-2014, 8:57 PM
Rick
Thanks, It helps more than you could possible know. I actually found the pieces that had broken. My wife must have tried to fix the thing and sort of put it away. Who knows, maybe to hide it. I had seen these pieces once before and put them at a safe place because they "looked important" somehow. Just never thought Delta would have something so simple that looked so amateurish. Should be able to get her working now. Your help is very appreciated.
Chris