PDA

View Full Version : WARNING!! Any ULS users and Windows 8

Nathan Shaffer
01-13-2014, 6:28 PM
Greets everyone,
I had some bad luck happen to me this weekend:(. Updated my Windows 8 computer to 8.2 and updated my UCP. After words I no longer could use the settings in the UCP or the Rotary. Called the vendor about the issue this morning they had not heard of the problem. They call ULS and ULS confirmed that Windows 8.2 does not work with the UCP. Microsoft and ULS are currently working on a solution. The estimated resolve time is the end of the month. The current solution is to revert back to 8.1 or 8.0 if possible.

The issues I had where:
Using 1-Touch Photo to burn an image on a rotary, the image was shrunken and not on the center line.
I had moved part of a project of the page in Corel so that it would not be sent to the engraver to burn, but the entire image was sent and also shrunken.
Last sent a part of a file to burn using the presets for wood, then tried to change the setting in the UCP so that I could do a test burn on paper. The UCP keeps crashing on telling it to open the settings.

I hope no one else has already encountered this issue!

Best of Luck to All!

Kev Williams
01-13-2014, 10:24 PM
While new technology is great, it never ceases to amaze me why Microsoft (and others) go out of their way to screw up or remove perfectly good OLD technology. I really don't want to spend $125 grand to replace perfectly good paid for equipment just because the idiots building $500 computers and operating systems refuse believe anyone these days has a use for a serial port :mad:

Nathan Shaffer
01-13-2014, 11:47 PM
A mentor in my area got bit by that last fall. His computer died and had to be replaced, he had to install a serial port so he could use his paid off engraver.

David Somers
01-14-2014, 12:17 AM
Nathan,

Please don't take this wrong, but what possessed you to bump up to Windows 8.2 which is not officially released yet that I see? It seems to be in a pre-release beta mode right now. Windows 8.1 is due to have Service Pack 1 released something in this quarter I think. And Windows 8.2 is not due until 2015. Possibly as Windows Version 9 if they decide to stay away from the Windows 8.x branding.

I have learned to stay away from the bleeding edge on anything that matters.

I do understand the urge to stay on top of things. In the future you might want to use an imaging tool like Acronys or some other imaging package to make an image of your Hard Disk before you do the upgrade. Then if things go boom you can revert back pretty quickly. Not all MS products revert back cleanly if an upgrade turns out to be a problem. This might save you a bunch of time.

For my self I also tend to work more with virtual machines. VMWare for example. With those I can keep Operating System variations handy and flip back and forth between them to compare, adjust, or whatever. It is also handy in my line of work for tech support when I have to support things ranging from XP on up to the current release.

Hope things clear up for you quickly!

Dave

Nathan Shaffer
01-14-2014, 1:26 AM
As stupid or ignorant has it may sound, all I thought I was doing was installing the current "run of the mill" updates. It was not until having probelms and calling my vendor that I found out or got confirmation that the there was an issue with the newest updates. It was the ULS rep that told said I had installed 8.2. I did not have the time earlier today go check the version. I checked my engraving computer it is operating 8.1 not 8.2. Yes, it has taught me the need to better monitor what is being updated.

Fortunately, I still have my laptop that I can use in the mean time and I have somethings that will demand my full attention till after the fix is supposed to be released. Thank you for the wishes that things clear up.

The main reason for making a post was to help anyone out there who has a ULS machine that they count on for business not to go down hard.

Dan Hintz
01-14-2014, 6:00 AM
David beat me to it... I knew you weren't running "8.2", as they haven't even released alpha code (even the hackers don't have it). I'll stick with 7 for the forseeable future, maybe upgrade to 9 if/when it proves itself to be a stable release. 8 wasn't the disaster Vista was, but it sure did try its best to go down that road.