PDA

View Full Version : 60-degree angle?

Dan Jones
06-13-2005, 11:14 AM
Hi! this noob needs some help and this placee looks like where to get it.

I've searched everywhere I can think of to find this info that I know I used to know...

I'm making a picnic table, and the 2x6 legs require a 60º cut. On my 45º miter saw. (Uh, my table saw died a while back and I haven't been able to replace it, so that's out. :( )

I know there's a trick to getting the correct angle--I've seen it before, but I'm just an occasional woodworker, and really lousy at math (which would explain the "occasional" part :D )

I know the solution is so simple I'll feel like a bigger doofus when I see it, but I'm stuck. :) If I haven't explained it very wwell, just say so. And really simple description it best. Act like I have little clue (because apparently I do)

thanks!

esti: seems this should have been in Neanderthal haven... sorry 'bout that.

Cecil Arnold
06-13-2005, 11:18 AM
Flip it over and do a 30 degree cut from the other side.

Tim Sproul
06-13-2005, 11:20 AM
Make a 30 degree cut going the other direction. I'm assuming you are starting with a 4-square piece of stock..... 90 degress less 30 degrees will give you a 60 degree angle on the other piece.

The other option is to mark the line...protractor or draw it out using a bit of trig...and handsaw it to the line.

Dan Jones
06-13-2005, 11:23 AM
you know, I did just that, but it didn't look right. at all. and the 60º didn't match up on the framer square.

muchas gracias!

Ron Taylor
06-13-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm sorta in your boat for figuring out how to extrapolate stuff like this, but it seems that if you can check it with a framing square, you could mark it with the same square and cut to the mark.

Bob Johnson
06-13-2005, 12:40 PM
If you rotate the piece you are trying to cut 90 degrees, and cut a 30 degree angle on it, you will get a 60 degree angle. Rather than having the piece parallel to the miter saw fence, it will be perpendicular to the miter saw fence. It will help to clamp a square piece to the miter saw table to have a fence to butt the working piece up to.

Bob

Dan Jones
06-13-2005, 12:52 PM
If you rotate the piece you are trying to cut 90 degrees, and cut a 30 degree angle on it, you will get a 60 degree angle. Rather than having the piece parallel to the miter saw fence, it will be perpendicular to the miter saw fence. It will help to clamp a square piece to the miter saw table to have a fence to butt the working piece up to.

Bob

Okay, so basically I'll have a ~33" 2x6 sticking straight out from my miter saw? I actually rather like that solution. Seems fool-proof. Of course, it hasn't run into a fool like me, but... :rolleyes:

thanks to all for the suggestions! I'll use this latest one to recheck my cuts so far.

Keith Hooks
06-13-2005, 1:49 PM
Dan, this figure I made might shed some light on the problem you're working on. I was trying to visualize where you would need a 30 deg cut on a picnic table and supposed that it could really be a 60 deg cut measured from the long edge of the board instead of a 30 deg cut measured from the end edge of the board. The picture (hopefully) shows what I mean. Anyway, good luck!

Dan Jones
06-13-2005, 1:55 PM
Dan, this figure I made might shed some light on the problem you're working on. I was trying to visualize where you would need a 30 deg cut on a picnic table and supposed that it could really be a 60 deg cut measured from the long edge of the board instead of a 30 deg cut measured from the end edge of the board. The picture (hopefully) shows what I mean. Anyway, good luck!

that is EXACTLY what I need done, and looks like I got it right the first time.

I am frequently guilty of over-thinking a problem to the point where I confuse myself.

Yoiu guys are great! splendid forum, and I'm happy to have stumbled across it. :D

Sam Blasco
06-13-2005, 2:01 PM
I find it helps to layout what you want first, to size, if you can't visualize or figurize. Then when you see the lines and take it over to a saw, things start to come together and you can say, Ah-Ha! Love those moments.