PDA

View Full Version : Question about engraving black ceramic shot glasses

Larissa Cartier
01-13-2014, 3:35 PM
Hello,

I have seen many posts about engraving ceramic mugs and settings. My question is, has anyone had any luck with the black ceramic shot glasses from Discount Mugs? I ordered some samples, and have run them at numerous speed settings with 100% power with no luck. I contacted the company in regards to settings but they had no recommendations. I will keep trying but I figured I would ask. Thanks in advance! :)

Joe Hillmann
01-13-2014, 3:41 PM
I have only been able to get good results on black ceramic with a yag. If I keep the power low the engraved area stays black but it has a flat finish, If I bump the power up sometimes the white below shows through. I would think sandblasting would also work.

Dan Hintz
01-13-2014, 5:51 PM
Unless the mug has a coating meant for CO2 lasers, you're not going to see much without blasting it away completely. As Joe says, fiber is the source of choice for ceramics (though you should be marking the topcoat, not the ceramic mug itself).

Larissa Cartier
01-16-2014, 5:35 PM
Thanks Joe and Dan for the info. Yeah, these shot glasses aren't going to work. Good thing I only ordered a sample to test out first.

Mike Null
01-16-2014, 6:38 PM
Larissa

I've experimented with various mugs and found that those not specifically made for laser engraving produce variable engraving results. The glazes penetrate the ceramic to different depths meaning that engraving in several passes may be necessary. A deep engraving on ceramic results in sharp edges and increased possibility of chipping on those edges.

walter hofmann
01-17-2014, 5:03 AM
hi
I use the blue painters tape to all light colored glazed items mostly tiles and white mugs it gives a dark engraving .

Larissa Cartier
01-27-2014, 4:01 PM
Hi Walter,
That looks great! Did you engrave through the tape to get the dark engraving? Sorry if that's a dumb question.