PDA

View Full Version : Recent finds.

Bobby Hicks
06-13-2005, 10:31 AM
Creekers,

Two planes and a chisel.

I've had this first plane for quite awhile since the mid nineties. When my grandfather pasted away I got it along with a bunch of other hand tools of his. While converting the garage into the shop I came across it and figured it needed a good going over. It's a Bailey No. 5. It has "PAT'D MAR-25-02 AUG-19-02 APR-19-10" cast in the steel. As far as I know all the parts are here. I've taken everything apart and cleaned some of the rust off. The bottom (I think sole) looks to be in good shape, no pitting, just needs to be lapped. 90% of the japanning is coming off and has a bit of rust. The handle (tote) is broken in two pieces. The knob looks to be in good shape. The handle and knob need to be refinished. So far I haven't seen any major problems, I haven't looked to hard either.

The second I found along with the chisel in a junk pile at my in laws place. These two are in pretty bad shape. The plane has No.4 cast in the steel, so far that's the only markings I've seen. I have not been able to get it totally apart due to rusted screws. The tote seems to be in good shape, the knob is in rough shape, may not be original. There is lots of surface rust all over. The blade is a loss, the chipper may be salvageable. This may be for display only.

The chisel: I have no idea about this, maybe someone can tell me what to look for to ID it. It's got lots of rust, I've cleaned some off and it looks like lots of pitting. Is it worth cleaning up to be useful?

Bobby Hicks
06-13-2005, 10:32 AM
Additional Pictures

Bobby Hicks
06-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Additional Pictures 2

Tyler Howell
06-13-2005, 10:40 AM
Wow Bobby!

Those are going to take some work.:eek:
Good luck.

Dave Anderson NH
06-13-2005, 11:24 AM
Hi Bobby-

The #5 should only take a small amount of cleaning though it will take a decent amount of further work to either rejapan it or paint it. Most of the rust looks like relatively mild surface rust so the mineral spirits and fine (220 or finer) sandpaper should do the job. I'd replace the tote with one form one of the internet sources. The iron doesn't even look pitted so its too might be quite usable after some work. Looks like you've got a nice type 11 there.

The other plane is so badly pitted and rusted I'd not even bother. For $25 or less you should be able to find a really nice one worth restoring.

Marc Hills
06-13-2005, 4:19 PM
I'm with Dave on this one. The #5 is salvageable, but other than the combination square and maybe the brass fittings on that #4, the rest is beyond hope.