PDA

View Full Version : Pen Turning Contest Winner

Keith Outten
01-13-2014, 12:15 PM
Penn State Industries - Pen Turning Contest

Dedicated Pen Blank Drill Chuck

This is our first pen turning contest and it will be the first of many contests this year that will include all of our major forums.

Penn State Industries (http://www.pennstateind.com/) has agreed to sponsor this contest and has offered a Dedicated Pen Blank Drill Chuck (http://www.pennstateind.com/store/CSCPENCHK.html?prodpage=1CS) for a prize. I recently ordered this drill chuck and I can say that it is an excellent chuck for drilling pen blanks, particularly 1/2" thick Corian blanks which have to be drilled perfectly straight and for those who do not own a drill press.

The Rules

* You may submit only one pen.
* You may use any pen kit you prefer, custom pen kits are also acceptable.
* You may use any material you prefer.
* This contest is open to everyone at SawMill Creek who wishes to participate that has not won a FreeStuff Drawing or other Contest here in the last 24 months.
* The top ten pens submitted will be selected by our Moderators on Thursday February 13th 2014 no later then 9pm EST.
* The winning pen will be selected from the top ten by the members of this Community via a public poll from February 14th until February 28th, 2014.
* The Winner will be officially announced on March 1st, 2014.
* Contestants shall create a new post in this thread and label the title "Contestant Submittal", these will be stuck at the top of the forum so everyone will be able to view each submittal and judge them appropriately when the poll is created. Your post may contain one or two pictes of your finished pen.
* Our Staff will be responsible to resolve any conflicts, they have the final authority concerning any aspect of this Contest.
* The SawMill Creek Staff are exempt from entering this contest.

Thats about it folks, show us you best and most innovative pens and may the best pen turner win. I reserve the right to offer second and third place prizes depending on the number of pens submitted.

Our Sponsor for this Contest:
Penn State Industries
Web Site Address:
http://www.pennstateind.com/
Phone:
From the U.S and Canada: 1-800-377-7297 Monday through Saturday 8:30 a.m through 8:30 p.m EST
International: 1-215-676-7606 Monday through Saturday 8:30 a.m through 8:30 p.m EST. English language only
Fax: 1-215-676-7603
Email:
We are able to reply to most emails by the next business day
For general E-mail, Order Inquiries and Technical help, CLICK HERE (http://www.pennstateind.com/contactform.php)
Retail Store:
Call or visit our retail location, The Woodworkers Showroom: 2381 Philmont Ave., Huntingdon Valley, PA 19006
Postal Address:
Penn State Industries
9900 Global Rd.
Philadelphia, PA 19115

Lee Koepke
02-12-2014, 1:45 PM
I am officially posting my submission. (I fear our ice storm may cause me to lose power and/or internet and miss the deadline!)

What I have prepared for consideration is a piece of history. The wood used for this pen is from the 3,500 year old Senator Tree from Seminole County Florida. Shortly after a deliberate fire destroyed the tree, the Seminole County Greenways and Natural Lands Division offered pieces of the tree to local artists and craftsmen to preserve the history of the tree. A fellow turner (I sold him my first lathe to get him started) was one of the recipients of small pieces and he was kind enough to send me a blank. It was a small piece, suitable for a Patrizio Pen kit, which happens to be the kit I prefer as a carry pen.

So here you have it, possibly the oldest pen in the contest and hopefully the BEST! I do appreciate the opportunity and the contributions from the sponsors.

Daniel Gross
02-13-2014, 12:41 PM
Contestant Submittal

I took time away from turning Freedom Pens to turn this slim line
for your consideration.
Bokote

Thank you for your time,
Daniel Gross

Doug W Swanson
02-13-2014, 4:30 PM
Here is my entry. It's a Jr Gent I Rollerball with a Maple/Pink Resin blank. It's finished with 12 coats of thin CA, micromeshed and then polished.

Enjoy!

Grant Wilkinson
02-13-2014, 5:35 PM
Here is mine. Watch parts cast in alumilite on a Lotus kit.

Keith Outten
02-17-2014, 9:03 AM
The date for submittals for this contest has ended.

Please vote in the poll above for your favorite pen.

Clint Merrill
02-26-2014, 8:14 PM
Nice looking pen Lee, great job of fitting to the metal parts. May I ask where did you get the Patrizio kit ? It is quite unique.

Lee Koepke
02-28-2014, 10:39 AM
Nice looking pen Lee, great job of fitting to the metal parts. May I ask where did you get the Patrizio kit ? It is quite unique.
Thanks! I do like the patrizios as my carry pen. I get them at Penn State Industries. They show off the wood pretty good and fit well in my hand and pocket. Appreciate the kind words!

Keith Outten
03-03-2014, 11:37 AM
Our Pen Turning champion is Grant Wilkinson.

With only four entries in this contest I have decided to provide drilling chucks to all four contestants. Gentlemen, send me a PM with your shipping address and I will have your prizes shipped ASAP.

Congratulations to All

Doug W Swanson
03-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Our Pen Turning champion is Grant Wilkinson.

With only four entries in this contest I have decided to provide drilling chucks to all four contestants. Gentlemen, send me a PM with your shipping address and I will have your prizes shipped ASAP.

Congratulations to All

Keith,

That's very generous of you. I certainly appreciate your offer!

Also, congrats to Grant and the other entrants. The competition was very good!

Steve Schlumpf
03-03-2014, 1:41 PM
Congrats to all the winners! One of these days I'll have to give this pen turning stuff a try! Nice work everyone!

Grant Wilkinson
03-03-2014, 5:02 PM
Thanks much, Keith for setting up the contest. I hope that more creekers will get into the next one. I'll send you a PM right away with my details. Thanks, too, to all who voted in the contest.

Daniel Gross
03-03-2014, 5:47 PM
Thank you Keith, it is most appreciated.

Daniel gross

John Terefenko
03-03-2014, 10:16 PM
Very nicely done and that is a great chuck for sure. It makes drilling on the lathe very easy. Congrats to the winners. The watch part pen is always a great crowd favorite. Hopefully this can be done again at some later time and we get more involved. I have seen pen turners here so they do come here. Thanks for putting on the contest.

Lee Koepke
03-05-2014, 8:21 AM
Wow! I just appreciate the opportunity to show off my work! All the pens were very special - Congrats Grant, very nice pen!

Appreciate the support from PSI !

Grant Wilkinson
03-06-2014, 12:57 PM
tks much, Lee. You do fine work.