PDA

View Full Version : Fresh information about HF files

george wilson
01-13-2014, 9:47 AM
I should have gotten around to this some time ago,but yesterday I had the occasion of using the HF file I bought several months ago.

Sorry to say,though the bastard cut file looked o.k.,it just filed like it was worn out rather than like a sharp new file. I haven't looked at the teeth under a microscope,but I think maybe the teeth have been bent back too much during cutting them.

Regardless of the problem,the file just did not file mild steel well. I will not buy any more of them.

At some point,I will try the Kobalt files that Lowes sells. But don't hold your breath!! I move slowly these days.

Charlie MacGregor
01-13-2014, 11:43 AM
Thanks for sharing your findings on this quest George.

David Weaver
01-13-2014, 11:48 AM
This just reminds me that yesterday, I partially refiled teeth into a disston thumbhole rip with a bacho file. the bahcos are so nicely made. I have to file about the equivalent of a third of the depth of all of the teeth all the way along the saw, and so far it feels like I may get through that with a single corner on the file.

Chris Griggs
01-13-2014, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the info George!

Mike Allen1010
01-13-2014, 11:20 PM
This just reminds me that yesterday, I partially refiled teeth into a disston thumbhole rip with a bacho file. the bahcos are so nicely made. I have to file about the equivalent of a third of the depth of all of the teeth all the way along the saw, and so far it feels like I may get through that with a single corner on the file.

+1 I've tried lots of vintage and contempory saw files which represented for me lots of time and $. For such a utilitarian tool, saw file - I now just buy bahco and call it a day. David as you describe re-toothing is too much work too use soft files IMHO.

Cheers, Mike

Hilton Ralphs
01-14-2014, 5:57 AM
Are we specifically referring to Bahco saw files or just sommer metal files that can be used on anything?

David Weaver
01-14-2014, 7:30 AM
I think George is talking about mill files, and I muddied the water with talk about saw files.

george wilson
01-14-2014, 9:31 AM
Yes,8" mill file from HF. Bastard cut. I would like to try a Kobalt from Lowes. At least they are available with finer teeth. I hate those hexagonal tangs. They try to force you to use their ugly 2 tone plastic handles. I say just drill a hole in a wood handle and drive the hex in.

Probably I'll end up cluttering my shop with another BAD Asian file when I buy a Kobalt. Have to wait and see.