PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
01-13-2014, 9:07 AM
13 Jan 2014

Good Morning Everyone,
No woodworking for me over the weekend. Lots of rain over the weekend and today appears to be a day of very good weather. Start oncall duty for work today so I'm already getting mentally prepared for it. Took the LOML out on a date Saturday night to her favorite mexican style restaurant and then to the movies to see the new Hobbit movie. We had a really nice time...even doing some window shopping while we waited for movie time because we had a bit over an hour between being finished with eating and when the movie started. I have more cutting boards to make but my heat is out in my shop so I have to get my repair dude out to fix it for me. Maybe this week or next and my heat will get fixed if the cost isn't too high.

Well, that's it for me...so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Matt Meiser
01-13-2014, 10:05 AM
We were pretty well confined to the house Sunday-Friday last week when it got above freezing. Through Tuesday our road was impassable to even a 4WD truck. Wednesday morning primary and some secondary roads were passable if you had 4WD. Once they got the 4-6' drifts out of the way, there was 2" of ice pack on all the roads and temps were too cold for the usual salt to work. We did venture out Wednesday night to get provisions and never made it over 20MPH. Thursday and Friday my wife made it to work by riding with the neighbor in their 4WD truck and their usual 20 minute commutes were well over an hour. Finally Friday was above freezing and sunny, but it still took most of the weekend to get all the ice off all the roads. I was supposed to head to St. Louis for my company's annual meeting Wednesday evening but my wife's friend's husband who is a state trooper said he would recommend not driving to the airport because there were still tons of accidents so instead I attended by web meeting. School was also cancelled all week which made for a looonnnggg Christmas break--3 weeks and 1 day :eek:. The weekend was spent on a rescheduled dr. appointment, rescheduled basketball practices, and numerous other little things that didn't get done during the week so I got no shop time.

Rod Sheridan
01-13-2014, 10:21 AM
Hi, I've started jointing and planing all the ash I sawed last year to make flooring.

I'm using the stock feeder on the jointer, working very well.

My FIL will have lots of shavings for his chickens.......Rod.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2014, 10:24 AM
I spent Saturday morning with a friend who was looking for some answers to a turning dilemma he has. I think we came up with some solutions.

Started cleaning up the mess in the shop I created before we left for 3 weeks visiting in Virginia.

Charles Wiggins
01-13-2014, 10:46 AM
LOML was sick this weekend, so I spent a lot of time playing nurse.

Yesterday, I finally got to a small project that's been bugging me since we bought our house over three years ago.

Part of our basement is finished and inside that area we have a wood-burning fireplace insert. The door between the garage and the finished room had a ~14"x14" vent rough-cut though it with a vent cover on the inside (which was mounted upside-down). The identical, garage-side vent cover was dismounted and set off to the side and an over-sized spun fiberglass air filter was hung to cover the hole from the garage side.

It wasn't such a big deal when we moved in, so I intended to "get to it later." We added the fireplace insert two years ago and started leaving the door at the top of the stairs open to allow the warm air upstairs and keep down on the gas bill. I soon mounded a small fan at the top of the stairwell to help move the warm air. The recent cold snap helped me realize what I already knew: that when the fire burned down while we were asleep or away from the house the cold air that was coming in from the garage was not getting heated very much and getting sucked out into the hallway where the thermostat is, so the heat was actually running MORE at those times.

I knew did not want to cut off the flow of "fresh" air from the garage completely, so I had decided some time back to size the hole properly and install a pleated air filter to reduce the air flow.

Well, yesterday, I finally got around to it. The door is hollow core with cardboard webbing, so I just cut the webbing around the hole loose from the sheathing to give me a 1½" clearance and cleaned off the glue with an old chisel. I then cut some SYP to make blocking to go around the perimeter of the hole and glued it between the sheaths. I re-cut the hole to a perfect 14"x14" (thanks Festool), installed one vent cover, dropped in my snug-fitting pleated filter, a spun-fiberglass pre-filter, installed the other vent cover and remounted the door.

We could tell a difference immediately. Even with the fan going at the top of the stairs you have to get your hand within a few inches of the vent to feel the air flow. There is now a cool spot instead of a cold spot next to the door and the room will stay warmer longer.

joe maday
01-13-2014, 1:03 PM
I was able to get a side table's finish rubbed out and now just need to prepare the ebony trim

Von Bickley
01-13-2014, 1:16 PM
Hospital time for me. went in Friday morning for a right shoulder replacement. shoulder, bones and rotator cuff was worse than expected. ended up with a reverse shoulder replacement. came home Saturday with my arm in a sling.
a reverse shoulder replacement is where the ball and the socket trade places. go back Tuesday for a report from the doctor.
what makes things worse is that when I recover from this shoulder, I will have to get the left one fixed also.
old age is not for sissies..... you gotta be tuff to survive old age.

Ralph Butts
01-13-2014, 1:31 PM
Hospital time for me. went in Friday morning for a right shoulder replacement. shoulder, bones and rotator cuff was worse than expected. ended up with a reverse shoulder replacement. came home Saturday with my arm in a sling.
a reverse shoulder replacement is where the ball and the socket trade places. go back Tuesday for a report from the doctor.
what makes things worse is that when I recover from this shoulder, I will have to get the left one fixed also.
old age is not for sissies..... you gotta be tuff to survive old age.

Von here is wishing you a speedy recovery.

Charles Coolidge
01-13-2014, 1:36 PM
1952 Delta 12"-14" RAS Multiplex 40-B rebuild

Fixed a crack in the carriage way cover with an aluminum brazing rod.

Machined a new brass bushing for the motor housing

John Christian
01-13-2014, 2:21 PM
On Friday night we picked up "Fletcher" our new 10 week old gold retriever puppy. spent the weekend getting him used to us and the house and house rules. I am sitting online waiting for him to wake up , after a good romp around the property this morning. no wood working for a couple of weeks till he is fully house broken and all.279778

John Christian
01-13-2014, 2:31 PM
oh wand while i was looking through my pics for one of "Fletcher"279780 i saw one of some of the cutting boards i made for christmas

John Christian
01-13-2014, 2:33 PM
and while i was looking for pictures of " Fletcher" i came across pictures of a few of the cutting/serving boards i made for C279782hristmas

Mike Weaver
01-13-2014, 3:11 PM
Worked on the 3/4 ply Nativity that I so foolishly thought 'd complete before Christmas...LOL
It is coming along though and should be ready before NEXT Christmas ;-)

Also went goose listening with my youngest son, my brother & another friend. Goose listening you ask?
That's goose hunting when you never SEE them. Still a good time, even if soaked by lots of rain.

-Mike

Dick Durbin
01-13-2014, 3:24 PM
Just about finished the fourth of six Adirondack chairs I am building. The remaining two don't have to be done until March when my nephew and his wife move into their new home in Savannah. I have just about convinced myself to buy an Earlex 5500 HVLP system to paint the chairs.

Dale Murray
01-13-2014, 4:33 PM
I just completed a new base for my 12" Craftsman band saw. The old base was the standard spindly stamped steel/bolted base. Like most I have limited space so large footprint of the original base was too large and offered no storage.

The result is smaller foot print, useful storage, greater mobility (rolls easier), two decent sized drawers, and is a bit less noisy.

Old base occupied 7.9sq ft.
New base occupies 4sq ft.

In order to get more space under the saw I used a shorter belt to raise the motor a bit.
You will note the kink in the drawer allowing for the height of the nail guns.
In these photos I had yet to installed a dust cover over the top drawer, installed pulls, aligned drawers perfectly, and had not applied a final coat of shellac.

I will make one similar to this for my belt sander too.

EDIT: The large bolts you see are temporary, did not make a hardware run yet.

279786 279787 279788 279785 279789

Justin Coon
01-13-2014, 6:06 PM
For Christmas, I gave my recently retired father a woodworking class with me at the local Woodcraft. It was a one day project class where we made flag display boxes. He's not a woodworker, he's an aeronautical engineer by trade, but I know he's trying to figure out what to do in his retirement. He has helped me with some projects in the past but primarily with keeping my machines running in tip top condition. Thinking about exposing him to some other types of woodworking over the next year to see if he finds something to latch on to. We had a great time. He wants to build a bread box for his wife next so maybe he's got the bug...

joe maday
01-13-2014, 9:09 PM
The photo did not load in th efirst post So.... here is a photo of the table that finished rubbing out...just need to apply the ebony trim.

Dale Murray
01-14-2014, 11:17 AM
That is beautiful.

Mike Olson
01-14-2014, 1:05 PM
I worked on my Tablesaw stand some more, closed in the dust collection to go out the back and got my air compressor installed in it. Also organized the shop some more to try and make room for a new shelf for a couple new power tools.