PDA

View Full Version : Perazzi MX8

Doug Carpenter
01-13-2014, 8:40 AM
I did this gun for a customer. He is a Medusa fan and asked me to incorporate her into the design.

The stock is English Walnut

Sean Hughto
01-13-2014, 8:44 AM
What is the finish? Laquer?

And what is the function of the sort of "saddle" at the top rear? Is that for attaching a strap?

And, of course, beautiful work all around!

Doug Carpenter
01-13-2014, 9:39 AM
Thanks Sean.

The finish is Lacquer.

The part are asking about is the comb. This one is adjustable. A shotgun used for bird hunting or in this case clay targets has no rear site. Your eye is the rear sight. In order to get the gun to shoot where you are looking your eye must be lined up with the rib on top of the barrel. In the clay target games we build the stock to fit so that the shooters eye lines up right each time. An adjustable comb allows the shooter to adjust the eye to rib relationship either to allow for a fluctuation in the shooter's weight or to make a change in the point of impact.

phil harold
01-13-2014, 10:16 AM
I have always wondered how checkering is done
how do you do it?

nice stock!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-13-2014, 10:22 AM
Beautiful work Doug!

I had a gunsmith friend who died 20 years ago. He convinced me to try making a set of grips for a pistol I was shooting at the time. I bought the walnut and the checkering tools. That was my first and only attempt. I gave up in disgust! I sold the checkering tools to a friend.

joe valsi
01-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Fabulous, really spectacular !!! Where did you get the Walnut ? It's a beautiful piece of wood !

C Scott McDonald
01-13-2014, 11:51 PM
Wow Doug that is simply awesome. I wish I could do something like that for my XT.

Simply awesome.

Mike Delyster
01-14-2014, 12:23 AM
Looks great Doug.

Bruce Page
01-14-2014, 1:10 AM
Beautiful work. It makes me want to take up shooting again!

Doug Carpenter
01-14-2014, 7:24 AM
C. Scott, there is always room to upgrade your wood. That's how I feed my kids!:)

Joe, I get my wood from a supplier in Washington State. Paul and Sharon Dressel. They have stock blanks that range from $150 to $5000.

Ken, checkering is pretty monotonous. It has tested the patience of many!

Bruce definitely get that gun out and go bust some clays! If you haven't shot in a few years the price and availability of ammo may shock you. but don't let that stop you.

Phil, checkering is done by hand with little cutters. One you create a master line you use a cutter that follows the first line while cutting the next line. The diamonds are formed my two groups of intersecting lines.

The first picture shows one set of lines and the master line for the intersecting lines and second picture shows the progression of lines that create the diamond shape.

Once the layout is complete you gradually deepen each line to bring the diamonds to nice point.

I keep meaning to post a little tutorial on checkering because I would think some members here might be interested.

Gregory Peterson
01-14-2014, 9:55 AM
I keep meaning to post a little tutorial on checkering because I would think some members here might be interested.

Definitely!

Will Boulware
01-14-2014, 12:11 PM
Beautiful work! Please do post that tutorial, though!

phil harold
01-14-2014, 12:32 PM

that would be great!