PDA

View Full Version : Moisture meters

Don Nicholas
01-13-2014, 12:23 AM
Does anyone use a moisture meter on pen blanks and larger blanks ie pepper mills and rolling pins?
If so what brand are you using?
Thanks in advance for your info.

robert baccus
01-13-2014, 6:09 AM
HF--not a bragger but works.

Kyle Iwamoto
01-13-2014, 10:38 AM
I have a mini-Lignomat. You can get them from Amazon for 100 bucks. Not cheap, but I got mine in a used tool buy for 10 bucks. It works, but limited to 22 percent max, but since it's obvious that the wood is that wet, I don't think it's a real problem. For pens and mills, I usually just rough out, drill then let the blank dry/acclimate for a while. I only use the moisture meter on bowl blanks. Actually, I seldom use mine....... I personally think there could be better places to spend money. When you get enough tools, then get a meter.

Quinn McCarthy
01-13-2014, 10:47 AM
I have the same one as Kyle. Got it for xmas and haven't used it much yet. Seams to work just fine when I used it on KD wood blanks that I tested. I really like how smalll it is.

I hope that helps.

Quinn

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-13-2014, 5:52 PM
I have a Wagner pin-less meter. I like it,but it wasn't inexpensive. I think it was some where around $200.

Joseph M Lary
01-13-2014, 7:13 PM
Lowes has one for around 25.00 work just fine for what I need . There was a review done that said it was as good as the 200.00 meters , not sure if its was on the creek or not .

steven carter
01-14-2014, 1:27 PM
+1 on the Lowes meter, I bought 2 since they were on sale for 10.00

Rob Price
01-14-2014, 2:13 PM
I bought a digital food scale and weigh my rough turned bowls. When they quit loosing wt I finish turn them.

Stan Smith
01-14-2014, 10:05 PM
I bought a digital food scale and weigh my rough turned bowls. When they quit loosing wt I finish turn them.

Good way to do it for bowls and you can use the scale to determine shipping weights, too.

Stan Smith
01-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Lowes has one for around 25.00 work just fine for what I need . There was a review done that said it was as good as the 200.00 meters , not sure if its was on the creek or not .

Thanks for your post. For that price I just bought one and will pick it up tomorrow. I turn pens and small stuff, but I've bought some spindle blanks (3" x 3") or thicker that seemed pretty heavy. I've use the weight method in the past for bowl blanks so decided to give a moisture meter a try. I realize that the expensive ones are more accurate. I think you can look at it relatively though like a bathroom scale. Sure the one at the doc's office is more accurate, but your home scale will tell you if you are losing or gaining weight. Hopefully losing in my case :).