PDA

View Full Version : Ash Platter for new home

Kelvin Burton
01-12-2014, 11:33 PM
A colleague at Mercy Ships is building a new home and asked me to make something to feature in the entrance foyer as a surprise for his wife. The designed pyro'd in the center was used on their wedding invites. The platter is 11" in diameter, finished with black lacquer, gold leaf Rub 'n Buff and Danish oil then buffed. The circle that appears on the border is only in the photo so I guess I got some reflection.

C&C welcome

Allan Ferguson
01-13-2014, 11:42 AM
That is a real eye catcher.

Eric Gourieux
01-13-2014, 1:55 PM
They'll have to be proud to display this. Great job on the color and pyro.

I'm planning on Rub n Buff for a walnut vase I currently have on the lathe. Did you apply anything over the Rub n Buff before buffing?

Kelvin Burton
01-13-2014, 3:26 PM
I'm planning on Rub n Buff for a walnut vase I currently have on the lathe. Did you apply anything over the Rub n Buff before buffing?

Eric, I used Danish Oil before and after the Rub 'n Buff. The "after" coat is used to remove the excess and also provides protection. Danish Oil is a gentle solvent for the Rub 'n Buff so I used it with a paper towel to leave the gold just in the grain. The "before" coat seems to help instead of going directly on to the lacquer. Got the technique from Jimmy Clewes.

Bob Bergstrom
01-13-2014, 3:58 PM
Awesome job on the grain and pyro. Sealing the piece really helps prevent gold from showing up in unwanted places. I would like to have seen the bottom also done in black and gold. I use Peral Ex powders mixed in Johnson's wax. I found it much cheaper and a wider verity of colors and dichromatic affects .Thanks for sharing.

BILL DONAHUE
01-13-2014, 6:15 PM
Very nice piece. Ash by itself can be rather plain but add some black with dye, lacquer or a torch followed by rub n' buff or liming wax and it's spectacular. Good job!

Eric Gourieux
01-13-2014, 6:32 PM
Eric, I used Danish Oil before and after the Rub 'n Buff. The "after" coat is used to remove the excess and also provides protection. Danish Oil is a gentle solvent for the Rub 'n Buff so I used it with a paper towel to leave the gold just in the grain. The "before" coat seems to help instead of going directly on to the lacquer. Got the technique from Jimmy Clewes.

Thanks for the info

Kathy Marshall
01-13-2014, 11:58 PM
Beautiful platter Kelvin! The black and gold really set it off.

Michael Poorman
01-14-2014, 10:43 AM
Very nice indeed. Anyone would be proud to display that in the foyer.