PDA

View Full Version : Anything wrong here - I'm stumped!!!

Mike Kelsey
01-12-2014, 10:10 PM
http://s30.postimg.org/a64goweu9/chainsaw_milling.jpg

David Weaver
01-12-2014, 10:15 PM
It looks like an attempt to cut beams, but none of the results are very straight or consistent width.

In the "2nd world sawmill" thread in the OT forum here, the guy proves that straight boards can be sawn.

If someone from the UK sees this thread, they will say "where's the PPE, don't you guys have health and safety?"

(and for those guys in the UK, the answer is not unless you're in the workplace - and no need for a license to run a chainsaw).

Jeff Erbele
01-12-2014, 10:40 PM
The real question is, "Is anything right here?.

Brian Elfert
01-12-2014, 10:56 PM
Just because government doesn't require safety equipment doesn't mean you shouldn't use it. I cringe when I see guys on reality shows working under cars without any safety glasses.

I generally use a full face shield under vehicles because I have gotten stuff in my eyes even with safety glasses. I also use a full face shield when grinding as I had an ER visit when grinding with just safety glasses.

Rick Potter
01-13-2014, 3:11 AM
Beats me, but I usually start at the other end.

Rick Potter

Jim Koepke
01-13-2014, 4:04 AM
Many things wrong.

The blade could go through and hit the dirt. Bad for the chain. It would also be a safer cut a bit up off the ground.

It could take off his leg if it suddenly kicked.

If the chain snagged it could pull him to the ground.

Its late so I likely missed a few others.

jtk

Fred Perreault
01-13-2014, 6:49 AM
I'd say that from safety to the condition of the saw, to quality control, this operator shows me that I would hire the Filipino in a heartbeat, and pass on the man with pants and workboots.

Lornie McCullough
01-13-2014, 6:42 PM
I'm STUMPED.

Made me laugh.... thank you.

Lornie

Pat Barry
01-13-2014, 6:50 PM
Obviously this is a professional in action.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-13-2014, 6:58 PM
This recent set of chain saw posts has made me realize that i actually own a sawmill, this next weekend, I'm making lumber!

Erik Loza
01-13-2014, 8:58 PM
What's the story with the photo?

I can tell you that it was taken in Latin America from the vegetation (I see a Heliconia in the picture, which only occurs in the New World) and the guy looks like an Anglo (his chainsaw looks quite new and his clothing and water bottle are more expensive that what locals wear or carry). I have traveled extensively in Mexico and can tell you that yes, he is doing many things un-safely, but that is pretty much the norm down there. In other words, if you take it in context, "not surprising".

Just my 2-cents as always.

Erik Loza
Minimax USA

Brian Ashton
01-13-2014, 11:33 PM
Honestly… I'm betting the guy walked away in tacked so who cares

Ole Anderson
01-14-2014, 12:42 AM
I'm betting the guy is a regular on the Creek, saw the 2nd world sawmill thread and thought he would give it a try.

Mike Kelsey
01-14-2014, 12:48 AM
I have been enjoying the replies here.

I do my own logging on my land for personal use. Not a professional by any means. But like most people who've worked in construction for a long time (45+ years ) I take safety seriously and for good reason.

Larry Whitlow
01-14-2014, 1:21 AM
I'd say that from safety to the condition of the saw, to quality control, this operator shows me that I would hire the Filipino in a heartbeat, and pass on the man with pants and workboots.

What is this supposed to mean?

Patrick McCarthy
01-14-2014, 10:56 AM
What is this supposed to mean?
Recent thread with video of a very talented gentleman cutting and dividing or milling a log to dimensional stock. Not a politically incorrect slur, but rather a compliment .

Larry Whitlow
01-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Recent thread with video of a very talented gentleman cutting and dividing or milling a log to dimensional stock. Not a politically incorrect slur, but rather a compliment .

Wasn't really too concerned too much with the PC aspect. Just didn't get it.

Salamat

Larry

David Weaver
01-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Hopefully it makes sense in context now - that you'd take a guy on shorts with no shoes, an old saw and a whole pile of skill and experience over someone wearing boots and pants with a high dollar saw making twisty beams.

I'm tooting my own post by saying it, but the guy from the phillipines is one of the most impressive demonstrations of creating a very useful and accurate skill by repetition that I have seen in quite some time - and should give a lot of us pause when we quit at something that doesn't look like it will work the first or second time.

Fred Perreault
01-14-2014, 3:33 PM
I didn't mean to offend or confuse anybody.... but for those on this thread that have not viewed the thread of the "2nd World Sawmill", it would be worth it. What the man is doing would not come highly recommended, but his quality control was astounding