PDA

View Full Version : How do you sharpen a tiny #11 gouge?

Tom Jones III
01-12-2014, 4:28 PM
Someone, I won't say who, broke my #11x1.5mm gouge. I've ground the tip back to good metal and I know how to sharpen the outside. My problem is, how do I remove the burr from the inside? It is so small in there I can't think of any way to hone the inside.

Brett Robson
01-12-2014, 4:57 PM
I use some slipstones for that task. A set like this might work for you: http://www.sharpeningsupplies.com/Arkansas-Carving-Tool-Set-P379C105.aspx?UserID=78142980&SessionID=2Cc9xCZdaIeVvkBazoOv

Mark Yundt
01-12-2014, 8:31 PM
I've done several thousand cuts with a #2 recently and I just use a buffer with a bit of rouge. Quick and easy. Personally have never used a slip on any of my chisels.

Andrew Hughes
01-13-2014, 12:17 AM
I use wood shaped close to the profiles and the red rouge,i tryed the leather wheel on my tormek on the inside,but it just burns thru the sides too easy esp on the v gouges.

Ed Griner
01-13-2014, 4:33 AM
You can try jeweler's files,an old leather belt ,a piece of string with rouge,etc..

randall rosenthal
01-13-2014, 8:00 PM
I've done several thousand cuts with a #2 recently and I just use a buffer with a bit of rouge. Quick and easy. Personally have never used a slip on any of my chisels.

this is the correct answer as far as i'm concerned. i give the tool a few seconds on the side of the wheel to get that last bit of bead off.

Andrew Hughes
01-13-2014, 9:53 PM
I am sure you guys have the answer,problem is when I think of a buffer I picture one of those electric machines used to put a shine on a new car.Ya know the kind with fluffy a lambs wool.that turns real slow.

randall rosenthal
01-14-2014, 10:52 AM
andrew....i have an old bench grinder with a cotton wheel. you can charge it with any medium...or grit. by FAR the easiest way.

Mike Pounders
01-14-2014, 12:24 PM
I also use a buffing wheel for the insides of all my tools, from Dockyard to mallet-sized. I use a regular stitched cotton buffing wheel on either a bench grinder or my Burke sharpener. You can also use a wheel on a portable drill. Works great for buffing off the wire edge on the inside.

Andrew Hughes
01-14-2014, 9:46 PM
Is the buffing wheel only for the inside,or do you guys use it on the bevel.
How about small v gouge, any problem buring thru the wings of a v gouge.?
Thanks. In advance

randall rosenthal
01-15-2014, 11:20 PM
i don't use V gouges but i use the wheel on both sides of all my tools.....even the straight ones.

Mark Yundt
01-16-2014, 12:50 AM
I do use all sorts of V tools here again on all that moulding I just posted. Just a quick touch , inside and out. The buffer is all I have ever used for nearly 25 yrs. of full time carving. Seems every full time carver I know does it this way as well. I have too much work to bother with any other way. I want to carve not sit and fuss over a chisel.
and the chisels are none the worse for wear as they have been with me all these years.
The only time I do use a leather strop is for my straight razors as that's what I shave with. I like sharp things.

Andrew Hughes
01-16-2014, 10:01 PM
Thanks guys,I will start looking for a second hand grinder with buffing wheel shaft.Then maybe I can finish my ebony Rat carving.

Ivars Duntavs
01-21-2014, 12:08 AM
Hallo guys I'm new here but not in sharpening. Its easy to get your tiny gouge or V tool razor sharp.
1 Way: slip stone + strop
2 Micro power strop - all you need: two or even one piece of leather (you can buy a scrap piece of 6-8oz veg tan for few $ on ebay, if you want to strop large tools take larger piece of 8-10 OZ leather) and a drill/dremel bit to attach it to the drill or dremel. Or if you use bench grinder than you can attach it on is. You cut out twoo or one disc of leather, if you cutted two than you need to glie them together (glue should be only in the center of discs no glue near edges!) and maybe stitch a little around a central hole for attachment. Now its importatnt to cut disks the way they fot all your tools inside. So you take your gouges and V tools annd you are checking does they fit on disc. Sometimes you will get fit on edge for all your U gouges but not for V tools. It means that you need specific one for V tools too! So you need to sand or cut discs the right way they fit to your tools.
When thats done you need to attach your strop to powered tool, put compound on edge and on flat side. On edge you strop inside - on side you strop outside.
After than you can use filc wheel with compounds Filc wheel can be cutted to get shape for your tools.
Last: soft finishing buffing wheel + finishing compound.
Power strop --> Filc wheel --> Buffing wheel
When you work on buffing whell you need to keep your tool in lower angle than your bevel because you want that moisture of wheel just touch the edge. Thats all!

Is the buffing wheel only for the inside,or do you guys use it on the bevel.
How about small v gouge, any problem buring thru the wings of a v gouge.?
Thanks. In advance