PDA

View Full Version : best sprayable finish for windows?

Tim Brewers
06-12-2005, 11:03 PM
Hey people, I am currently in the process of finishing the windows of our new home. I have everything done except the actual windows. I am looking for a good, quick drying, uv resistant finish for them. I have to pull the windows in order to finish them and it has been raining 4 days out of 7 here lately so I would like to get them done in as little time as I can. Plus I don't look forward to pulling them out, tearing off all the hardware, then do it over and over between rains. I would like to shoot them with the clear with my HVLP gun. Thanks,

Brew

Jamie Buxton
06-13-2005, 12:25 AM
These are wood windows? You're talking interior finish, not exterior? Do you care whether the finish is waterborne or solvent?

Tim Brewers
06-13-2005, 9:28 PM
It is an interior window, but must be fairly resistant to the weather considering they might be left open during rain, etc. I don't care if it is waterbourne or solvent, I am more concerned about quick drying and will hold up to the weather/UV. Thanks,

Brew

Jamie Buxton
06-13-2005, 9:40 PM
I'd use Emtech 8000 "varnish" and Emtech 8800 sanding sealer. They are waterborne finishes designed for HVLP spray. You can buy them at http://www.homesteadfinishing.com. It cures pretty quickly -- depending on atmospheric humidity, I often can sand a coat in 30 minutes or so. Like most waterborne finishes, it doesn't yellow anywhere near as badly as do solvent-borne. Target (the manufacturer) says that the finish is resitant to UV. Me, I don't have long-term experience to back up that claim, but I do have a window sill which still looks good after about a year in the sun.

Tim Brewers
06-14-2005, 11:22 PM
thanks, I will check them out.

Brew