PDA

View Full Version : Feathering the edges of a plane sole

Andrew Fleck
01-12-2014, 3:20 PM
While researching ways to flatten the sole of my #5 1/2 I came across a video by Paul Sellers that many of you may have seen. He had a #4 and after he flattened the sole he appeared to feather the edges and the toe of the plane by elevating a side of the plane on a ruler or something similar. Have any of you who have done this noticed a benefit from it? I can take some respectable shavings with my #4, but there is room for improvement. It is highly likely I just need more practice fine tuning it and working on my techniques.

My hand plane obsession is spiraling out of control, but oh well, I like it!

I'm sorry if this has been discussed already. I tried searching for it to no avail.

Joe Bailey
01-12-2014, 3:54 PM
It is strictly a precaution taken to knock off the sharp edges you have just created by flattening the sole. (the edges would occur where sole transitions to sidewall)
It is basically done for the same reason that one would camber the edges of the blade itself -- to avoid gouging the work surface.

Kees Heiden
01-12-2014, 4:13 PM
When you are smoothing out a door frame for example, it is very easy to drop of the style a bit and bump into the rail, creating an ugly divot. With some of this feathering of the edges of the plane sole you could probably helpt to avoid this. I haven't done this to any of my planes yet, only cursed when it happened to me.

Steve Voigt
01-12-2014, 6:01 PM
Sellars advocates putting heavy chamfers on the sides as well as the ends. As usual, his advice is idiosyncratic and not typical of what most people do.
I would not do this, though I agree that if you have sharp edges left from the lapping process, you should break them.

Steve Baumgartner
01-12-2014, 6:11 PM
Have a look at the other post about "the last 1/4 inch"! Another OCD is worrying about how to eliminate a tiny chamfer (.002ish) at the heel end of his plane sole!

Sean Hughto
01-12-2014, 6:23 PM
A few light passes with a file will break edges (knock down dings on corners of a vintage plane) on the sides, toe and heel. Easy peasy.

Pat Barry
01-12-2014, 6:50 PM
Have a look at the other post about "the last 1/4 inch"! Another OCD is worrying about how to eliminate a tiny chamfer (.002ish) at the heel end of his plane sole!
You may want to take another look yourself

Sean Hughto
01-12-2014, 7:01 PM
Andrew, I hope we don't seem to harsh talking about OCD and such. We were all new to planes at one point and had to sort through what was important and what was not in setting them up. We may seem brash, but folks here are good hearted and mean it all as in "yeah I used to worry about that stuff too, don't worry, it's no big deal." With a pat on the back. :-).

Jim Matthews
01-12-2014, 7:41 PM
I attended the 9 day basics course at the New Legacy school in New York state.

The #4 plane was the "all-around" tool that is used for many operations, and it received this treatment.
I may not remember correctly, but the joinery planes were used with the soles lapped dead flat.

I have not seen any recommendation for filing or feathering the edges of any other size plane.

I never saw Mr. Sellers use anything smaller than a #4.

FYI - The school also features a full complement of Lee Valley planes, and they're used as shipped from the factory,
including the Veritas #4. If you're curious about the methods taught by Mr. Sellers, he's ready to answer questions on his blog.

Andrew Fleck
01-12-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks for all the help. I think I will just ease the edges slightly as has been suggested and work on my technique some more.

Andrew Fleck
01-12-2014, 10:18 PM
Andrew, I hope we don't seem to harsh talking about OCD and such. We were all new to planes at one point and had to sort through what was important and what was not in setting them up. We may seem brash, but folks here are good hearted and mean it all as in "yeah I used to worry about that stuff too, don't worry, it's no big deal." With a pat on the back. :-).

Sean,
It's all good. I have pretty thick skin. There is probably a little bit of merit to the OCD remarks anyway! It's kind of like the sole not being quite flat. I know that it doesn't matter, but it irks me that it's not all the way flat.

Andrew Fleck
01-12-2014, 10:22 PM
I attended the 9 day basics course at the New Legacy school in New York state.

The #4 plane was the "all-around" tool that is used for many operations, and it received this treatment.
I may not remember correctly, but the joinery planes were used with the soles lapped dead flat.

I have not seen any recommendation for filing or feathering the edges of any other size plane.

I never saw Mr. Sellers use anything smaller than a #4.

FYI - The school also features a full complement of Lee Valley planes, and they're used as shipped from the factory,
including the Veritas #4. If you're curious about the methods taught by Mr. Sellers, he's ready to answer questions on his blog.

Thanks for the heads up Jim. Sellers makes it look so easy, but he probably had a plane in his hand the day I was born. I do enjoy his videos though.

george wilson
01-12-2014, 10:39 PM
I admit I have OCD. I also advocate that it is a component of good craftsmanship,so I am happy with it. That is all I ever wanted to be,a good craftsman.