PDA

View Full Version : Head stock drive

Ethan Spronk
01-12-2014, 12:01 PM
Hello All,

This is my first post here but I have been lurking in the shadows for a while. I have recently been given an older lathe that was brought from Europe. It is an LMS Houtbewerkingsmachines. The headstock has bergmans tyringe sweden imprinted on it at least that is my best guess to what it spells. I have rewired it finally last night and it appears to run very nicely. I do however need a new drive for the headstock. I dont even know how to start deciding what drive I should get. Any advice or direction would be great. I plan on turning smaller things to start (fixing a few chair legs) then try turn some table legs or feet for furniture I build.

Thank you

charlie knighton
01-12-2014, 12:32 PM
if by drive you mean chuck......the chuck pictured is a 3 jaw chuck which is metal turning chuck......maybe take it off, see what size spindle you have......look in craft supplies cataloge and buy one of the major brands to fit your spindle

tailstock....i do not see one in the picture, if you have one , you could jsut buy a drive center and revolving center for tailstock and turn between centers some spindles.....you are not going to turn any table legs without a tailstock........

i like the way the tool rest is loosen to move..... enjoy

Ethan Spronk
01-12-2014, 1:28 PM
Thank you Charlie for your fast response. I took the chuck off and have a spindle with an OD of 19mm. The inside is also threaded with an ID of 8 mm. I have attached a picture of the tailstock. It does have what I would call a revolving center. Correct me if I am wrong. Like I said im a total newbie to lathes.

Can you explain to me what the difference is between a metal chuck and a wood one? From a real quick search it looks like the wood ones have 4 jaws? is there anything else? Would it be possible to use the metal chuck or is that just a recipe for disaster? I am on a student budget but know I have to do it safely.

Roger Chandler
01-12-2014, 2:01 PM
Not sure on the specs on your spindle......it looks like it might be a 3/4" x 10 tpi .......and possibly a #1 morse taper. You could call Bestwood Tools or look up their website.........they either have them in stock or can make you the right one.

There are other vendors you can check as well. Craft supplies or Packard Woodworks might have it, but Bestwood Tools is a sure bet, I think. Here is a link.......

http://bestwoodtools.com/

I presume you are speaking of a spur drive. They have it! Also, they can make or have adapters for your spindle if you want to put a scroll chuck on it as well.

Dennis Ford
01-12-2014, 2:02 PM
The three jaw chuck can be used on round wood stock but the jaws are designed to grip metal, jaws for wood have a larger contact area. It will likely be difficult to find an adapter for those threads.

charlie knighton
01-12-2014, 2:48 PM
i think maybe find a machine shop, have them make you a drive center to fit the inside threads, thats not a normal thing, woodturning drive centers have a smooth shaft mostly with either 2 morse taper or 3 morse taper. but machine shop could match those inside threads and thats would let you turn the table legs

Ethan Spronk
01-12-2014, 4:57 PM
So I was looking on bestwoodtools and found their texas spur drive centers and thought this would be perfect to solving my threaded drive center. However, my spindle is 3/4" with 10TPI which they do not carry. So I went on the hunt for an adapter. I found PSI has an 3/4" 10TPI to 1" 8tpi adapter. Any feedback on this or using an adapter? This solves my thread issue but then I also found PSI 7-piece multi spur drive center set. (link below) Would this be a good or bad purchase? experiences? Also would it be feasible to have an adaptor with this set attached? I just feel that it is quite the conglomeration of items to make it work.

http://www.amazon.com/PSI-Woodworking-Products-LCENTSET-7-Piece/dp/B004JZWK4G/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t

charlie knighton
01-12-2014, 5:27 PM
your spindle is OD of 19mm

Includes 1-Inch by 8 tpi headstock mount to easily screw the centers on and off your headstock

is that the same?????????

PSI has an 3/4" 10TPI to 1" 8tpi adapter is that for inside diameter????????

almost wish i was good at converting the #'s

Ethan Spronk
01-12-2014, 5:42 PM
I remeasured my spindle with my caliper and got 3/4" (which is 19.5 mm). I would need the PSI adapter of 3/4 10 TPI to the 1" 8 tpi (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KI8CBQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ) in order to use the spur mounting kit. So I would have two adapters in order to use the spurs. (not ideal on spinning object in my opinion) I am thinking I am going to call the bestwood tools and see if they can make their texas spur drive centers in a 3/4in tpi 10. I am afraid it is going to cost me more than I am hoping to spend though.

charlie knighton
01-12-2014, 6:38 PM
bestwood tools are good people and make good product, good luck and enjoy

Scott Conners
01-13-2014, 12:53 AM
I bet you could clamp one of the steb centers made to be held in a 4 jaw chuck in your 3 jaw chuck. http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCENTQC1.html?prodpage=1LC
I prefer steb centers because they hold the wood very well and don't induce splitting. They are also great for learning because you can adjust them so a catch just stops the wood instead of making a big bang and gouge in the wood.

David C. Roseman
01-13-2014, 8:23 AM
Ethan, you don't say where you're located, but before you start ordering specialty accessories for a lathe you're still researching, can you find someone local with more experience who can come over to see just what you have? If there is a local woodturning club in your area, I'm sure there are other turners who would be happy to help you.

David

Michael Poorman
01-14-2014, 11:29 AM
+1 to letting us know where you're located. I bet lots of people here would be glad to help you out.

Now for my two cents. I'd be tempted to take the spindle to a machine shop and have them put a #1 MT in the spindle. Hopefully there is enough material to do so. Then you can just buy a standard taper. OR...... the other option would be to buy a small wood turning chuck such as this (http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/5/-/23/100/-/4399/Apprentice-Mini-4-Jaw-Chuck) and get a drive center you can clamp in the chuck.

Michael Mills
01-14-2014, 3:30 PM
I'm sure my old (1980's) jet tube lathe had a 3/4 X 16 spindle. It came with a spur drive that threaded on and did not have a taper at all.
They should be around somewhere if you can figure out what to search for.

Here is one for a Shopsmith but I believe the shopsmith is only 1/2 or 5/8 and smooth bore, at least it shows what I am referring to.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shopsmith-Lathe-Drive-Spur-New-/141165183599?hash=item20de19c26f#ht_367wt_849

Leo Van Der Loo
01-14-2014, 4:33 PM
Ethan it is quite possible that the thread is metric as it did come from Europe, sold in The Netherlands by LMS, made In Sweden you think ??

Anyway you will have to make sure of the threading before ordering parts.

I know the Oneway chucks do have a spur drive that fits the chuck and the adaptor for the chuck comes in all different thread sizes and they will also machine an adaptor for a special thread, here's a link to the different adaptors HTH

http://www.oneway.ca/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=96&Itemid=29

charlie knighton
01-14-2014, 4:42 PM
Leo, i did not realize, that is an amazing resouce, one way is prepared.......,metric i did not expect, but why not, their lathes are sold worldwide

Leo Van Der Loo
01-14-2014, 9:17 PM
I have found some older posts on a Netherlands wood forum about these lathes, the shaft is apparently 3/4 inch by 10 TPI

The chuck and center and faceplates where hard to find there also, one person did have several faceplates and also a chuck and 4 drive centers, no pictures that I could find of them

LMS (van de Laar Houtbewerkings Machines in Someren) is not to be found anymore.

Bergman is a common name in Sweden and also in The Netherlands, there is a company in Tyringe Sweden that makes Metal working chucks now and is part of a larger conglomerate, not sure if that is the company that did make these lathes, that Bergman Co. has been around more than a century and could very well have been making the lathes,

Joe Bradshaw
01-15-2014, 8:37 AM
Ethan, I have a PSI 3/4-10 to 1-8 adapter that you can have for the postage. Let us know where you are.
Joe

Ethan Spronk
01-15-2014, 9:36 AM
Joe, I sent you a private message with my address. Thank you everyone for the help and information. This is a great forum! I have updated my location in my profile so more ppl can see it. But Im in St Paul MN. Just trying to stay warm up here!

charlie knighton
01-15-2014, 9:54 AM
great story, way to go Joe....Ethan the national organization the AAW is in St Paul, they have offices and a gallery there....we had a national symposium there
late june 2011 i bought a sweatshirt at symposium its cold in summer up there enjoy

Richard Coers
01-15-2014, 10:53 AM
I remeasured my spindle with my caliper and got 3/4" (which is 19.5 mm). I would need the PSI adapter of 3/4 10 TPI to the 1" 8 tpi (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000KI8CBQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2L77EE7U53NWQ) in order to use the spur mounting kit. So I would have two adapters in order to use the spurs. (not ideal on spinning object in my opinion) I am thinking I am going to call the bestwood tools and see if they can make their texas spur drive centers in a 3/4in tpi 10. I am afraid it is going to cost me more than I am hoping to spend though.

3/4" is 19.05. Find a good hardware supplier and buy some nuts to check the thread. Don't assume anything because the outside diameter measures something. I would still suggest that it is metric. If you can't find the hardware to check it, all machine shops have a thread gauges to measure these accurately. You could also find a drive spur that is smooth on the outside diameter and you could grab that with the chuck you have. No need to go to the spindle.

Ethan Spronk
01-15-2014, 2:30 PM
Would something like this work to put it in my current chuck, then put the spur in that?

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/00185025?src=pla&008=-99&007=Search&pcrid=15557577904&006=15557577904&005=21882504424&004=4409695744&002=2167139&mkwid=sJXegN7a0%7Cdc&cid=PLA-Google-PLA+-+Test_sJXegN7a0_PLA__15557577904_c_S&026=-99&025=c (http://www.mscdirect.com/product/00185025?src=pla&008=-99&007=Search&pcrid=15557577904&006=15557577904&005=21882504424&004=4409695744&002=2167139&mkwid=sJXegN7a0%7Cdc&cid=PLA-Google-PLA+-+Test_sJXegN7a0_PLA__15557577904_c_S&026=-99&025=c)

Leo had confirmed the thread size from a forum he had found. He also had some background information on this brand of lathe. I feel quite confident that the threads are 3/4 10TPI.

My thoughts were if this adaptor works (or something similar) to drive my spurs then I would get the PSI thread adapter from Joe and so I can buy a new chuck to spin bowls and what not.

charlie knighton
01-15-2014, 4:59 PM
if that works and you do buy a new chuck, make sure that the chuck will take different size adapters for the spindle size, that way if you upgrade your lathe say in 10years, all you have to buy is a new adapter for your chuck.....oneway has that feature, vicmark, etc

Jeff Nicol
01-15-2014, 7:39 PM
Ethan, I guess I have some insight on this tpe of situation and I live in Eau Claire WI and would be able to give you some help in getting something fabricated for your lathe. I have a daughter that lives in the cities and could come see what you have going and also visit the grandbabies too. I will send you a PM and get the ball rolling.

Hope I can help,

Jeff