PDA

View Full Version : disston saw

Robert Culver
01-12-2014, 11:09 AM
So my better half found ne a old Disston saw it would appear to me to be a #12 the plate is straight and the handle is good im considering turning it into a good user saw I have two issues with it the first is that somebody used what would appear to me as gun blueing on the saw plate and that to me should come off but im not sure how second is that it has a spot about mid way through the backo the saw plate of pretty heavy pitting that is probably mostly cosmetic I wish I could post pics of it but cant figure it out I have tried for a few hours and have been un able to figure it out anybody have a idea how to remove the bluing?

She got it for a whopping $7.00

Jessica Pierce-LaRose
01-12-2014, 11:17 AM
I wouldn't bother with either - the bluing, if that's the case could help prevent further rust, and a pitted area well away from the toothline isn't a huge issue. Search threads here or other places online for saw restoration, and you'll see plenty of threads about rehabbing saws - basically it ends up being a lot of elbow grease and scrubbing away, possibly some sanding. Others have reported good results using foil and automotive polish; again, there are threads here if you search.

I believe this thread:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?167711-posting-photos-as-of-June-2011

from the main "Forum Tech Support" page describes how to post photos. It's a little confusing at first, but once you're used to it, it's not that bad, in my experience.

If the plate is straight and nothing is in terrible shape, I always bite on a saw like that for less than 10 bucks. If it's a nice "older" style handle, I especially jump on it.

Jeff Heath
01-12-2014, 11:58 AM
A lot of people use gun blue to help prevent rust on their tools. I see it done to chisels and saws the most. If the bluing was done well, you're in for one heckuva time removing it. I wouldn't bother. As stated by Joshua, you'll reap the benefits of having a less likely rust issue with it. File it and use it. #12's are nice saws.

I own 3 saws from Mike Wenzloff. The rest are all old Disston finds for $15 or less. They are good working saws, and the quality of the spring steel is almost always more than adequate for the job at hand. I can't speak to how well they adjust to being in a collection hanging behind a glass door.

lowell holmes
01-12-2014, 12:02 PM
I would not consider turning it into a user.

I would turn it into a user. The #12 and #7 Disstons are considered very desirable. Of course, you already know that.

Robert Culver
01-12-2014, 12:41 PM
when I drag the photos into the box they appear there and I click done and the box disappears but the pictures do not show up in my posts cant figure it out...

Robert Culver
01-12-2014, 12:44 PM
I guess I was waiting for the pictures to show up and you just need to click post problem solved

Jim Koepke
01-12-2014, 2:45 PM
Robert,

If you want to place the images in the text you need to select where you want an image by clicking on the spot and then click "Insert Inline." If you have multiple images you will need to deselect the check mark in the lower corner of each image except the one you want to place or use the paper clip tool and insert the images individually.

As far as the saw goes, I would leave it as is, give it a sharpening if needed and put it to work. One of my best users is a blued Disston #7 cross cut.

jtk