PDA

View Full Version : Buying used Jointer

Greg Woloshyn
01-12-2014, 9:46 AM
I'm looking to pickup some more equipment for my shop. Since I have a good tablesaw and planer, the next piece of equipment I need is a jointer. I saw a Delta DJ15 on CL for $500, hoping I can pick it up for $400 since that's the top of my budget right now. What type of checks should I perform when looking over the machine? I should bring a straight edge to make sure the infeed/outfeed tables are flat, but they don't need to be coplaner since this is adjustable? Anything else I should look at AND if everything checks out would $400 be a good price for this machine?

Thanks

Terry Therneau
01-12-2014, 10:12 AM
What's your location? Some one might be able to point you to a good peice of equipment.

Ron Kellison
01-12-2014, 10:12 AM
The DJ15 is a decent unit. A good 36-48" straight edge will tell you if the table(s) and fence are flat. This is important because it's the reference point for your wood and it's more critical for the tables than the fence. The infeed table should adjust smoothly without undue effort or slop in the mechanism. The fence should adjust smoothly and also hold 90° when you move it back and forth across the table. Take a decent square to check this. It becomes VERY irritating to have to check that the fence is square every time you move it.

For $400 it should be somewhere between excellent and museum-quality shape. I would regard that as absolutely the top price for any used 6" jointer. I have to point out that if you have a bit of time and a few mechanical entry-level mechanical skills you can pick up a good old 8" jointer, put in brand new bearings and knives and have some cash left over.

Myk Rian
01-12-2014, 1:26 PM
I just picked up a Rockwell 37-315 8" for $300.
Just as a price comparison.
Thanks, Doug.

joe maday
01-12-2014, 3:33 PM
The Delta dj-15 is a parallelogram jointer so the thing to check is the flatness of the individual tables, unlike a "wedge bed" jointer, they can be adjusted, parallel and coplaner by adjustment bushings....much better than the trial and error of adding shims like other jointer styles. I belive the achilies heel in the DJ series in the fence being twisted or warped. So that is also something to check. parts are hard to get for them (and expensive) because of the turnover/sale of delta....but in the case of the larger DJ-20 8 inch jointer, the grizzly fence was a direct replacement for us. Did not even have to change any adjustments or stops.So I would think the 6inch would have the same luck. My opinion ....the DJ-15 will be worth a little more than another type of jointer, so if all is in good shape,"shinney", no rust etc. 500 would be max. you can pick up a 8inch, dj-20 sometimes for 750-800. wider is better. but it must also fit the budget.