PDA

View Full Version : Passed By Hammer

Mike Hutchison
01-11-2014, 8:35 PM
I picked this hammer up many times and put it back down because of chips out of the bottom of the face.
Finally spent 2 bucks and took it home 1 week ago today. I have fitted it with a new handle roughly
based on one of my Grand-dad's finish hammers. One of the pics includes the handle that was in the
hammer when purchased. Definitely not factory. I am informed that it is a Maydole adze eye carpenter's
hammer. I can make out a small E on one side with plenty room for D. MAYDOL to go in front of the E.
20+ ounces
Late tomorrow or Monday after epoxy has set good, will drive and pull a nail or two.

Gordon Eyre
01-11-2014, 8:56 PM
You have resurrected this hammer from the graveyard and you are both better for it.

Lornie McCullough
01-13-2014, 6:37 PM
Drive a nail.......... yes

Pull a nail or two?? I never pull nails with a wood-handled hammer. I cherish my wood handles, and I would cherish yours too. It looks very nice.

But, that's just me.... I broke a few handles in my time.

Lornie

Winton Applegate
01-14-2014, 12:12 AM
Mike,

Excellent !

Mike Hutchison
01-14-2014, 4:08 PM
Lornie:
It's kinda like Tom Smith told Red Pollard in the Seabiscuit movie,
"Turn him loose. He's a race horse".
I won't know if I did anything right hanging the handle in the
old head unless it can do what a hammer is supposed to do.
Mike H.

Jim Underwood
01-14-2014, 4:17 PM
I've handled a lot of hammers... I never had any problem pulling nails with them.

Pat Barry
01-14-2014, 7:15 PM
That's a good project - nowadays the hammer face seems to be much larger. Did you do anything to flatten the face? As far as pulling nails, I believe that's one of two prime uses the tool was intended for - go for it.

Mike Hutchison
01-15-2014, 7:53 AM
Jim U.
The re-handle process didn't go 100% as I would like. In recreating by measurement/s the portion of the handle that goes through the eye of the head I noticed that it tapered down as you went towards the top in the axis that
you dealing with as you look at the face of the hammer. This is what I expected. However, if you look at the side of the hammer, the taper of the "tenon" portion of the handle formed up by measurement in that axis was way bigger at top
than at bottom. This raises the question: how do I get this thing on? Long story short (if that is possible after preceding lines) I rounded the corners as little as possible and did a trial fit. The head told me how much more had to come off;
I took off less than that and drove the handle in with my shop made mallet. Then JB Weld was worked down into the resulting voids with a piece of bandsaw blade. I had cut a wedge kerf in the tenon but when I got the handle in that was completely closed. Anyway, since it wasn't "by-the-book" I'm just a little paranoid about it standing the gaff as Dad used to say.
Pat B.
I didn't attempt to machine defects out of the face. 1 1/2 to 2 reasons: Metalworking skills less developed than woodwork and I didn't want to change the profile.