PDA

View Full Version : Who is this guy???

Malcolm Schweizer
01-11-2014, 8:12 PM
I came across this image doing a search. The site was about organizing your garage. There were no captions, but it had this photo. It's like a vision from a dream. Look at all those profile planes, that Ruobo/Shaker style bench, the leg vise, the pattern vise... Wow.

Anyone know who this is? Please tell me so I can know who my new hero is. :cool:

http://wonderful.toponday.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/dream-workshop.jpg

Tony Joyce
01-11-2014, 8:34 PM
I came across this image doing a search. The site was about organizing your garage. There were no captions, but it had this photo. It's like a vision from a dream. Look at all those profile planes, that Ruobo/Shaker style bench, the leg vise, the pattern vise... Wow.

Anyone know who this is? Please tell me so I can know who my new hero is. :cool:

http://wonderful.toponday.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/dream-workshop.jpg

That would be Gene Landon. Most if not all those tools have been auctioned. Gene passed in 2011.

Tony

Patrick McCarthy
01-11-2014, 8:36 PM
The late Gene Landon.

Joe Bailey
01-11-2014, 8:58 PM
Here you go:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/thomas-meiller/eel-the-tool-collection-of-gene-landon/ebook/product-20537055.html

Malcolm Schweizer
01-12-2014, 12:12 AM
Thank you all, and thanks for the link, Joe. I am sorry I never got to meet him. I'm sure we would have gotten along quite well.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-12-2014, 12:14 AM
Wow, I thought some of you guys had a lot of planes, Mr. Landon set the bar high.

Randy Karst
01-12-2014, 12:38 AM
Joe,
Thanks for posting the link; this is a high quality memorial eBook of a master woodworker and his tools - fascinating download - thanks again!

Rick Lapp
01-12-2014, 2:55 AM
That pic only shows a fraction of the tools in that shop; the proverbial tip of the ice burg. Rick

Dave Anderson NH
01-12-2014, 8:50 AM
I had the high honor of knowing the late Gene Landon through SAPFM. A superior craftsman and a nicer gentleman has rarely walked this earth.

Tom Meiller
01-12-2014, 1:06 PM
The photo is by Mark Schofield and was in Fine Woodworking Issue 174, Winter 2004/2005.

Ed Griner
01-13-2014, 4:41 AM
Gene was first class human being,who wanted to share his knowledge of period furniture construction with us all. What a great guy and a genuine person!

Chris Griggs
01-13-2014, 6:12 AM
I was just looking him up in FWW and found this video if him in his shop talking about an exquisite Queen Anne chair he reproduced. http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/video/details-of-a-queen-anne-side-chair.aspx (it doesn't look like you need to be a member of the paysite to see this)

Seems like a wonderful knowledgeable guy and craftsman.

Edward Mitton
01-13-2014, 10:27 AM
Holy Moly !!!
What an impressive tool collection! This book is an education in itself. I would have loved to meet this gentleman.

David Weaver
01-13-2014, 10:45 AM
I'd assume he was from pennsylvania, somewhere? He talks like my grandparents talked (south central and eastern PA influence). "made in uh-mare-eeee-cuh"

Not that it's a bad thing, I just recognize the accent.

Jim Belair
01-13-2014, 10:50 AM
In addition to a look at a wonderful tool collection, the book is a good reference for tool prices at auction (with dates). From the auction locations (Avoca, Nashua, etc) it looks like they were handled by Martin Donnelly. (just noticed in the front pages it was mjd)

Malcolm Schweizer
01-13-2014, 11:28 AM
At first I thought it a shame that the tools didn't go to a museum as one collection so all can see them. On second thought, however, I am glad many got to purchase them and am hopeful they are getting proper love, attention, and USE by their new owners.

Charles Bender
01-13-2014, 12:47 PM
I'd assume he was from pennsylvania, somewhere? He talks like my grandparents talked (south central and eastern PA influence). "made in uh-mare-eeee-cuh"

Not that it's a bad thing, I just recognize the accent.

Gene lived in Montoursville, PA which is outside Williamsport.

Winton Applegate
01-14-2014, 2:00 AM
Fascinating articles he wrote.
For instance the one where he talked about the old guys burring the walnut planks under the animal stalls and how the urine would patina the wood and once the wood was taken out and stickered and was properly ready he could tell by the way he could just break off the sap wood with his hands.
I am not kidding.
You just don't read articles like that now. If you can let me know where. Please.

Chris Vandiver
01-14-2014, 2:35 AM
Fascinating articles he wrote.
For instance the one where he talked about the old guys burring the walnut planks under the animal stalls and how the urine would patina the wood and once the wood was taken out and stickered and was properly ready he could tell by the way he could just break off the sap wood with his hands.
I am not kidding.
You just don't read articles like that now. If you can let me know where. Please.

Sadly, it's a brave new world.