PDA

View Full Version : Woodworking in Cabo San Lucas?

Todd Burch
06-12-2005, 9:44 PM
he he he.... ;)

Yep, I'm going soon, and wondered that perhaps sometime while there, between the fantastic resturaunts, the awesome beaches and fun filled activities, I might look around for any local woodworking attractions (you know - if it's raining or something...)

Anyone have any suggestions? Any SMC'ers down there?

Todd

Mark Singer
06-13-2005, 1:05 AM
Todd,

I am going to Oaxaca , Morelia, Putzacarro, sam Miguel de Allende and Guadalahara....in a week. I can aska friend about stuff there in Cabo...they have a home there...I will let you Know

he he he.... ;)

Yep, I'm going soon, and wondered that perhaps sometime while there, between the fantastic resturaunts, the awesome beaches and fun filled activities, I might look around for any local woodworking attractions (you know - if it's raining or something...)

Anyone have any suggestions? Any SMC'ers down there?

Todd

Todd Burch
06-13-2005, 7:45 AM
If you can't report back by 6/20 in the early AM, there's no need!!

Kelly C. Hanna
06-13-2005, 8:16 AM
Have fun Todd....not sure about the ww stuff down there....but with all the 'sights', I doubt you'll be worryin' about it much! :D:D:D

Jason Tuinstra
06-13-2005, 11:01 AM
Todd, have a great time!

Scott Coffelt
06-13-2005, 11:49 AM
Cabo, oh, Cabo....

What a great place to go, I went there about 3 years ago. Loved it.

Great bars, great food, fun people...

We had a rental car so we drove up the Pacific coast side and went to Todos Santos. The Hotel California is there.. but while there we walked around, there are some serious artists in that part... lots of glass work, metal work, paintings and jewelry.... some really nice prices too.

In Cabo, you have to do the ATV Sunset ride, totally made the trip.

If you like golf, be prepared to shell out some bucks. We played two rounds and that was a mere $400 each... but the view was to die for...Cabo Del Sol is the best but almost $300 a round.

Lover's beach can be fun, we did some minor rock climbing, saw a nice model (topless) doing a shoot.... for some reason Jack Diemer and I liked it more than our wives... not sure why, go figure that one.

Cabo Wabo has great Tequila, Gigglin Marlin gets crazy later in the night...people hanging upside down and drinking, did I say there were lots of bars?

Marlin fishing is great (though too rich for my blood) as I have a number of friends that have enjoyed that part.

Scott Coffelt
06-13-2005, 11:53 AM
I forgot to add, it very rarely rains in Cabo. I think they say like 4-5 times a year.

John Shuk
06-14-2005, 9:52 PM
Cabo was a great vacay for my wife and I as well. It was very safe. Usually when a local comes to talk to you for a while you wonder when they are going to hit you up. It never happened there. I don't know about woodworking but the glass blowing factory is worth seeing.

Jack Diemer
06-14-2005, 11:41 PM
A piece of advice, when you get off the plane, you will be assaulted by timeshare salesman. Dont give them any info, and get out of there asap. Scott wasnt kidding about the ATV tour (at the Lighthouse). I would call it one of the top ten coolest things I have ever done.

The golf is great, but it cost about 3x what it should. Play Cabo Del Sol or El Dorado, they are equally nice. Cabo Del Sol is akin to Pebble Beach.

As far as woodworking, there was lots of woodwork for sale in Los Cabos, but we did not see any woodworking going on, other than the tons of construction everywhere. The rental car is a must unless your staying in Cabo San Lucas. As for restaurants, the best restaurant we found was the trailer park that was outside of town a couple of miles in an actual trailer park. There is another more famous trailer park restaurant, but not near as good and more expensive. PS, the Dairy Queen is excellent too.

Great place to vacation, bring a lot of money.

Scott Coffelt
06-15-2005, 11:15 AM
Grande Ice Cream.... nightly is a must.

We also found a nice resturant in town that had really good food and I think we ate there at least 3 or 4 times. It's been so long though I just can't think of the name, something Shrimp .... maybe the Shrimp Fatcory or something like that. Anyways, you'll find it.... it was across the street from one of the hotels near the docks...

yes, the glass factory was cool, I mean hot, I mean cool to watch and hot to watch them make... ohhh I am so confused.

Scott Coffelt
06-15-2005, 11:16 AM
Oh forgot.... you must go by Slims... The World's Smallest Bar.

and there were the typical folks (kids and old ladies) trying to sell stuff.

Todd Burch
06-15-2005, 11:31 AM
Well, we're making plans and getting organized. Just made dinner reservations @ Edith's. Waiting to hear back from Wide Open Baja on the dune buggy particulars.

We're so excited!! If I don't show up back here on SMC, you'll know where I am!!

Mark Singer
06-15-2005, 12:45 PM
Todd,

Here is my list from a close friend that has a home there.

!. Macambo....great fish

2. Edith's

3. The Office ....I have had a few rums there! Next to Edith's

4. La Golondrina

5. Mi Casa
Have Fun!

John Shuk
06-15-2005, 8:45 PM
In San Jose el Cabo there is a great restaraunt called either damiano's or doriano's. They have a steak dish made from steak from the best cattle region in Mexico. It is outstanding. If you want to do some snorkleing or diving. I would recommend a trip to Cabo Pulmo as well. The Sea of Cortez is one of the richest Marine habitats in the world and has ALOT of BIG pelagic species that can be seen. Cabo Pulmo has the northernmost living coral reef in North America. I did dive there and was in the water with about 50+ manta rays. It just doesn't get better than that for a guy like me. Also I have to say that my wife and I used the local bus system to get around and it was fine. We stayed in the "corridor" midway between Cabo San Lucas and San Jose. For .80 each way we found it enjoyable. I find the Mexican people to be very welcoming and gregarious hosts. Enjoy the trip. If you can't tell I am envious.

M. A. Espinoza
06-15-2005, 11:25 PM
Todd,

I am going to Oaxaca , Morelia, Putzacarro, sam Miguel de Allende and Guadalahara....in a week. I can aska friend about stuff there in Cabo...they have a home there...I will let you Know

San Miguel de Allende? I've always been curious about that place, really sounds great.

Thats quite a trip, try to enjoy it. ;)

Any chance of posting a report when you return, would love to hear a woodworker's sense of San Miguel? Maybe in the Off Topic Forum?

Travel safe.

Michael Perata
06-15-2005, 11:36 PM
I forgot to add, it very rarely rains in Cabo. I think they say like 4-5 times a year.

They say wrong. Chances are you'll get wet at least once duriing your stay. There are lot of early evening thunderstorms. Oh, btw, hurricane season has started, and listen to the radio and tv weathercasts and be prepared to run since the hotels usually don't mention how close the storms are to the cape.

If you don't like the crowd in Cabo, take a short run up to San Jose del Cabo, a very nice old Spanish/Mexican town with really nice places to visit and comer cena with your friends/family.

Mark Singer
06-16-2005, 12:43 AM
I have been to Sam Miguel de Allende a few times....it is mostly Americans....art galleries, a very cute town and good resturants
San Miguel de Allende? I've always been curious about that place, really sounds great.

Thats quite a trip, try to enjoy it. ;)

Any chance of posting a report when you return, would love to hear a woodworker's sense of San Miguel? Maybe in the Off Topic Forum?

Travel safe.