PDA

View Full Version : Worth the price?? Table Saw

Jon Wilson
01-11-2014, 6:49 PM
Found a Craftsman Table Saw (113.299040) for $70.00

Is that a fair price?

What, if anything, should I be looking for when I go see it??

TIA

Bill Huber
01-11-2014, 7:04 PM
I would think so, the motor is worth that much. Unless it is just trashed not a bad price.

I would take the belt off and check the arbor bearings to make sure they are ok.
I would start it up and see if the motor is running smooth.
Put the belt back on and fire it up and see how it cuts.
A little rust is no problem, it will clean off without to much work.
You may want to take a straight edge with you if you have one and check to see if it is flat.

Greg Peterson
01-11-2014, 7:20 PM
Depends on a number of things. But at face value, $70 isn't bad, especially if it comes with a blade or other accessories. If it has the stock fence, no blades or mobile base, I would offer them $50. You're doing them a favor after all.

If you are starting up a wood working shop, this is the tool many have started with. If your budget is very limited, this tool will do. This saw can be made to make decent rip and cross cuts. Bevel cuts are going to be a problem because of the trunnion design. Dust collection is challenging on this saw.

But, as a 'starter' saw, it's going to be hard to go wrong.

John TenEyck
01-11-2014, 7:45 PM
If it's a cast iron one with a belt drive motor that's a fair price. They typically go for $100 - $150 around me. If it's an aluminum table or direct drive one, pass. I've had a CI one for over 25 years and I've made a lot of stuff with it, including some very nice stuff. The factory fence is a pain, but it works and I used it that way for more than 20 years. The worst problem with that saw is the bevel feature, as mentioned. It's hard to pull that motor up to 45 deg and, even after you do, you'll find that the blade is no longer parallel with the miter slot. I believer there's a solution to correct this but I don't remember what's involved. I finally bought an old Unisaw and the ease of adjusting it for bevel cuts is night and day to the Sears, and the blade stays perfectly parallel with the miter slot. I still have the Sears saw, but use it mostly with my crosscut sled these days. If you don't think you'll need to use the bevel feature much, the Sears saw will work fine, and you can always sell it down the road for what you paid for it should you choose to upgrade.

John

Bill Whig
01-11-2014, 7:54 PM
Found a Craftsman Table Saw (113.299040) for $70.00

Is that a fair price?

What, if anything, should I be looking for when I go see it??

TIA

Just a related thought, I highly recommend Kelly Meher's, "The Table Saw Book", if you don't already have it. I expect you will find that the $70 will be insignificant compared to the investment you will make to bring the saw up to speed. As some else mentioned above, make it sure comes with an operable fence. Good luck!

Bill Whig

john davey
01-11-2014, 9:22 PM
I have found many older Craftsman saws and have had good luck with them. The fence is always a problem. One thing I am a little leery of with this one is it looks like it is from the 70's. To new for me and Craftsman but your milage may very.... If the motor runs and it is complete it is still worth 70 bucks though. Since you are in MD you may want to hold off as these things show up regularly on CL in our area.

Jon Wilson
01-11-2014, 10:15 PM
I have a Skil 3310 right now. I think the $70 is a pretty safe bet that the 113 will be an upgrade.

If not I'll sell the 113 and keep on looking. BTW: I bought the saw. ;)

Thanks for all the info, of all the equipment the table saw still remains the tool I am most troubled by when it's time to purchase.

Rick Potter
01-12-2014, 3:06 AM
Well, since you bought it, Jon, here is some advice.

Get a set of PALS. They will make it very easy to adjust the table top on the saw. About $20.

My dad used steel pulleys and a link belt on his saw. This smoothed it out noticeably. Kits available. Cheap way to help vibration is to get a notched type belt, which runs smoother.

Make a small sled, ideas available all over.

Rick Potter

PS: Dad made a lot of nice stuff with that saw.

scott spencer
01-12-2014, 7:14 AM
That's a very good buy @ $70 if it runs IMO. if it's got a stock steel Emerson fence, it'll always be problematic for you and is worth keeping your eyes peeled for a good deal on an upgrade. There's an ebayer who offers a ribbed serpentine belt and pulley set for < $29 shipped (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ridgid-Craftsman-Table-Saw-Serpentine-Belt-and-Pulley-Kit-Belt-417J-816439-3/201018654973?_trksid=p2047675.m1850&_trkparms=aid%3D222002%26algo%3DSIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%2 6asc%3D11%26meid%3D4063922957397843641%26pid%3D100 011%26prg%3D1005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D5%26sd%3D2007658 37090%26) for the saw that should make it run silky smooth. Get it aligned and put a decent blade on it, and you should be set.

Mike Cutler
01-12-2014, 8:08 AM
I have a Skil 3310 right now. I think the $70 is a pretty safe bet that the 113 will be an upgrade.

If not I'll sell the 113 and keep on looking. BTW: I bought the saw. ;)

Thanks for all the info, of all the equipment the table saw still remains the tool I am most troubled by when it's time to purchase.

Jon
At it's core a table saw is just a spinning arbor with a blade. If the arbor runs true, most everything else can be overcome with a good fence, some ingenuity, creativity, and patience. I've always believed that it's the person pushing the wood through the saw, and not the saw, that is the limiting factor.
I've seen some pretty outstanding work come off those much derided Craftsman saws in these pages through the years.

Congrat's and good luck with your new saw.

HANK METZ
01-12-2014, 8:45 AM
Jon
At it's core a table saw is just a spinning arbor with a blade. If the arbor runs true, most everything else can be overcome with a good fence, some ingenuity, creativity, and patience. I've always believed that it's the person pushing the wood through the saw, and not the saw, that is the limiting factor.
I've seen some pretty outstanding work come off those much derided Craftsman saws in these pages through the years.

Congrat's and good luck with your new saw.

Absolutely true, I've seen craftsmen of other countries create very high- end furnishings with nothing more than a portable saw strapped under a piece of ply and a clamped board for a fence.

Greg Peterson
01-12-2014, 1:32 PM
Dust collection can be a challenge on this saw. But like I said, many of us started out with this saw, and a fair number have continued to use it as it met their needs.

What kind of fence did it come with?