PDA

View Full Version : New furniture endevor

Keith Hankins
01-11-2014, 4:42 PM
Well, i'm thinking of venturing into a new area but need supplier for some parts. I'm going to make some firearm concealment furniture. I've seen some crap out there, but I'm talking good stuff. I've got some ideas, but I'm having a hard time finding a push button keypad solenoid lock that can be placed in the piece to open a door. I've already talked to someone on spring mechanisms to quickly provide a firearm when needed, but want a lock to secure.

I'm thinking a 4 - 5 button mechanical button mechanism. I've also looked at some fingerprint sensors paired with an arduino board (mini pc) but getting the users fingerprint scanned and stored would not be that simple, and to be honest I don't prefer to rely on that when it's hitting the fan at 2am and i just heard the window break. Anyway anybody out there in the security biz, that might know a supplier of parts I'd appreciate it.

Loren Woirhaye
01-11-2014, 5:22 PM
There are probably some free industry journals you can subscribe to. I get a few for cabinetmaking and suppliers of new or innovative tech products useful in the industry often run awareness-building display ads in them.

Curt Stivison
01-11-2014, 5:28 PM
I've thinking about this for awhile. My idea was a magnetic lock sold buy Rockler. When the magnet touches outside of the stand the door opens up.

Curt

Harry Hagan
01-11-2014, 5:52 PM
A local TV station did a story a few years ago about that type of safety feature.

If the gun owner slid an object on the nightstand through points A, B and C, they would have a handgun at their disposal within two seconds. Move it in the wrong order and nothing would happen. It had some type of magnetically activated latch.

James Conrad
01-11-2014, 6:14 PM
Lee Valley of course: http://www.leevalley.com/US/hardware/page.aspx?p=70279&cat=3,43631,43646

Just a word of caution: check with your business insurance for liability coverage and careful on State laws satisfying lockup laws for children, and/or have your lawyer draw up a waiver of some kind.