PDA

View Full Version : Vacuum chuck sealer

Mike Tilley
01-11-2014, 12:57 PM
I was wondering what others use for a seal when using a vacuum pump.
i hvae been using foam door weather strip but it doesn't seem to last very long. What are some other options.
Mike

Dwight Rutherford
01-11-2014, 1:07 PM
I use wet suit rubber.
The AAW Journal had an article about using "Ogoo" to cast seals.
I think " Rubber Chucky " sells seals that are used by some. Good reviews.

Dick Mahany
01-11-2014, 1:17 PM
I use the closed cell foam craft sheets from Michaels or Hobby Lobby. They're inexpensive, have adhesive on one side and work well. They hold up for quite a long time. The ones I have are about 0.08" thick so may or may not work depending on how much conformance is needed.

Steve Mawson
01-11-2014, 1:54 PM
I use the one's Dick talked about without the adhesive. One sheet has lasted me for quite a while.

Thom Sturgill
01-11-2014, 2:21 PM
I get the same foam sheets (with the adhesive backing) from WalMart. I tried thicker foam that I bought online (wet suit material, I believe) but it was black and left color on the wood.

Grant Wilkinson
01-11-2014, 2:28 PM
I was using weather stripping and/or mouse pad material. I've gone with Rubber Chucky now and haven't looked back.Great product and a great company to deal with.

bob svoboda
01-11-2014, 2:30 PM
I've used the Rubber Chucky seals for some time now and couldn't be happier with them.

Steve Schlumpf
01-11-2014, 2:30 PM
I use the thin sheets of closed cell packing material that comes in almost any online order. I don't attach the foam to the chuck, just place it between the turning and the chuck. Works slick and doesn't cost a thing extra!

David Gilbert
01-11-2014, 3:10 PM
I use the 0.2 inch thick white closed cell foam from Michaels. I attach it with contact cement. This is the thicker material. I like it better than the thinner material that they sell. It lasts quite a while but eventually does wear out.

Cheers,
David

tom martin
01-11-2014, 3:29 PM
I am currently using self adhesive craft foam, but on my next chuck I am going to use silicone and corn starch molded to fit the chuck. All I need to do now is remember where I saw the article....................
Tom

Dwight Rutherford
01-11-2014, 4:04 PM
Tom,
The article is the one I mentioned about Ogoo. It was in the AAW journal.

James Combs
01-11-2014, 11:42 PM
I use the craft adhesive back sheets as others have mentioned. So far they have lasted me quite awhile. General my only loss of one is from snagging it on something while mounting or dismounting the chuck.

Fred Perreault
01-12-2014, 6:28 AM
I also use the craft adhesive back sheets as others have mentioned. They last quite awhile, and then I either add another over the worn out one, or scrape it off and start over. Once in a while the item won't seal well, but usually adding another layer produces a softer more pliable surface and it will seal well. Very inexpensive, and can be cut to size readily. Most craft stores or department stores will have this stuff.

Thomas Heck
01-12-2014, 10:18 PM
I use the rubber chucky seals on my holdfast chucks. They don't mark up the bowls and work great!

George Overpeck
01-12-2014, 11:40 PM
I put a bead of silicone around the rim of the chuck. You can make it even by tracing out the chuck onto wax paper, squeezing the silicone onto the paper leaving spots for spacers (I used pennies) and placing the chuck onto the bead. When it dries put a dab in where your spacers were and put back on the wax paper. That bead alone works pretty well, sometimes it doesn't get full suction and I throw in a donut of closed cell foam. When I use foam in addition there is occasionally some vibration.