PDA

View Full Version : SDR 35 and S&D pipe...whats the difference?

Mike Mastin
05-18-2003, 11:55 PM
I am trying to locate a local supplier of S&D pipe here in North Texas and have had no luck. I have found SDR 35 pipe with and without built in gasketed flanges. It seems to be more expensive than the S&D PVC that many people reccomend for dust collection. Is there a mail order source for S&D or can someone tell me a supplier in the North Texas area where I can but S&D pipe and the fittings :-)

Dennis Peacock
05-19-2003, 12:25 AM
Mike,

What you are looking for is PVC 2729...which is it's other name. The pipe you want is S&D and NOT SDR....Sewer and Drain is a LOT lighter in weight, costs less and does NOT have the gaskets. Even my local plumbing shop here in Conway can order it for me but they normally do not stock it. The fittings can be hard to come by unless you are close to a major plumbing supply house.

Make any sense?

Mike Mastin
05-19-2003, 12:46 AM
Dennis,

I tried one of the largest plumbing supply businesses here in the Dallas area (Ferguson Plumbing) and they told me that they can not get S&D, only SDR 35!
I live outside of Dallas and was hoping that one of the plumbing suppliers out here in the rural areas might be able to assist, but no luck. I will try a couple smaller plumbing suppliers in Dallas tomorrow.

Dennis McDonaugh
05-19-2003, 9:15 AM
You can't find 6" s&d here in San Antonio either, only schedle 35 which is waaay more expensive.

Jim Becker
05-19-2003, 9:17 AM
Look in your Yellow Pages directory for irrigation supply companies. They may have the materials you want. And of course, there is always metal duct... :D

Ken Garlock
05-19-2003, 10:54 AM
Mike, I was in the Lowes in Allen yesterday and just happened to check on the ATSM 2729 PVC. They have probably 15 or even 20 ten foot sections on a high rack next to the standard sewer pipe. They don't have much of a fittings selection however.

Groom & Son Hardware in McKinney has a limited amount of 2729, they call it schedule 25 as I recall. I asked about it and they said they could order what ever I wanted.

Hope this helps,