PDA

View Full Version : Which one to keep?

Robert Maloney
01-11-2014, 9:49 AM
I am trying to decide which dovetail jig to keep and which one to sell. So I decided to see what everyone here has to say. I have a Leigh D4R with vacuum support and bits or an Akeda DC16 with the accessory kit. Both work great and have their pluses, but I only need 1, and I can't decide which one to keep. If it were up to you which one would you keep and why?

Andrew Kertesz
01-11-2014, 10:06 AM
Tough call, the Akeda would probably sell quicker than the Leigh. One plus for that is the lifetme warranty follows the jig not the owner. Which one do you find yourself reaching for the most when you need a DT jig?

Cary Falk
01-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Keep the Akeda and sell me the Leigh.

Robert Maloney
01-11-2014, 10:21 AM
Right now the Akeda. Only because I just got it this summer and have been playing with it.

Andrew Fleck
01-11-2014, 12:36 PM
Keep the Akeda and sell me the Leigh.

Ha ha. Those were my thoughts too.

Steve Rozmiarek
01-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Tough call, the Akeda would probably sell quicker than the Leigh. One plus for that is the lifetme warranty follows the jig not the owner. Which one do you find yourself reaching for the most when you need a DT jig?

Been a lot of years since I was buying dovetail jigs, so educate me. Why would the Akeda sell faster than the Leigh?

Personally, I'd keep the Leigh. Easy decision.

Ray Newman
01-11-2014, 1:12 PM
Seems as if I always wind up misplacing something and soon or later a replacement parts(s) will be needed. Which manufacturer has a better supply of replacement parts?

Same with any upgrades to the jig - are they compatible with the base/original jig?

In your opinion, which jig is better constructed -- plastic vs. metal parts and surfaces?

Charles Coolidge
01-11-2014, 2:05 PM
Sell both and buy a Porter Cable Omni-jig

I'm kidding, you cannot imagine the hate I have for the Omnijig. I like a shot of carb cleaner in the eye more than I like the Omnijig.

Larry Frank
01-11-2014, 9:21 PM
I would keep the Leigh. I have one and love it.

Kevin Womer
01-11-2014, 9:42 PM
I wish I had your problem.