PDA

View Full Version : Ordering tools from SEARS

Clarence Martin
01-11-2014, 9:38 AM
Well, I placed an order for a tool from a local Sears store. Ordered it back in December , 2013 and was supposed to be in the store yesterday. Never came in. Store doesn't know where it is and I contacted Sears and they have no way of checking their computer system to find out where in the delivery process my order is located !! They said to call the store back.

Anyone know of a way I can find out where my order is from Sears ?

Matt Meiser
01-11-2014, 2:05 PM
If Sears can't tell you how would anyone else know?

Brian Libby
01-11-2014, 2:50 PM
Sounds like a great computer system !!!!

Duane Meadows
01-11-2014, 5:46 PM
I'd start here...

800-573-8431 or 800-479-6351

Dennis McDonaugh
01-11-2014, 5:47 PM
Did you order in the store or on-line? I've ordered several things on-line and they do a good job of updating the status of the order.

Clarence Martin
01-11-2014, 6:00 PM
On line in the store.. At first, the store had trouble placing the order. Finally got it through . Next day, I checked Sears website. What I had ordered , was now out of stock. A week later, back in stock. Point is , how can huge store like Sears not know or be able to find out where in the shipping route a particular item is located ?

Myk Rian
01-11-2014, 6:47 PM
Another reason I don't shop at Sears anymore.

Dan Hintz
01-11-2014, 7:24 PM
If it becomes problematic, find a store that has it in stock and cancel your order.

Matt Meiser
01-11-2014, 7:50 PM
Point is , how can huge store like Sears not know or be able to find out where in the shipping route a particular item is located ?

Haven't been following the news about Sears huh? They are dying an almost certain death. They are closing good performing stores where they own the real estate for cash. Announcing a few new store closings almost every week. And they just announced another massive loss.

Malcolm Schweizer
01-11-2014, 8:19 PM
It is sad how they cheapened the Craftsman brand from the 80's on. Now it's mostly glorified Harbor Freight quality, although they still have some nice automotive hand tools and tool boxes. I still have the very first craftsman box and socket set I ever owned. I bought it when I was 16. Still going.

Brian Elfert
01-11-2014, 9:08 PM
Sears has huge problems with their mail order/website operations. They constantly have price mistakes and products listed incorrectly. I bought some water softener salt on their website that showed a picture of the rust control water softener salt. I did store pickup and when I went to pick it up the salt it was regular salt and they don't even carry the rust control salt.

Now, I did buy some work boots from the Sears website a few months ago and the process went great. They had free shipping and a coupon on shoes so the price was way less than anyone else.

Kev Williams
01-12-2014, 1:37 AM
I remember when "Sears" used to be synonymous with "good stuff"- Kenmore applianaces, DieHard batteries, Craftsman tools, yeah baby, good stuff!

Now it's just "the other K-mart".

Jeff Erbele
01-12-2014, 2:51 AM
Haven't been following the news about Sears huh? They are dying an almost certain death. They are closing good performing stores where they own the real estate for cash. Announcing a few new store closings almost every week. And they just announced another massive loss.

On Friday CNBC was discussing and evaluating SHLD - Sears Holdings Corp. The CEO Edward Lampert controls the company, owning nearly 50% of the stock. Per Value Line, an investment evaluation and advisory service I subscribe to; the officers and directors own 65.9% of the common stock as of VL's last update. One of the CNBC staffers said on Friday, that Lampert is not the right person for the job but no one can do anything about it with his controlling ownership. He poised the question of perhaps the CEO wanted to convert the company from publicly held to a privately owned company. His bottom line was Sears is making a mistake by selling off the best parts of the company to prop up the problem areas, while they could get rid of the problems instead and reinforce success instead of sacrificing it.

The Value Line reports reveal a rather dismal financial picture in the past 5 years and with not a good outlook for 2014 and forward. On the bright side, the best news comes from clothing sales, and the "Shop Your Way" Rewards program which generated 65% of Q2 revenues. Sear's plan is to become a brick-and-mortar/internet hybrid company and sales from its website increased 20% in Q2.

None of that matters (unless you are an investor), if you are pleased with Sears products, availability, price and service, and store location or website and delivery.

There was a time, early in my trades career, later 70's and much of the 1980's when I bought a lot of Craftsmen tools, some for my machine shop job and a lot for after hours moonlighting jobs & home use mostly. Often their tools were good and a good value. At one time they were my first choice. Over time I came to realize most professionals used something other, much better at a greater cost, more reliable, heavier duty and/or accurate. And my attitude changed, wanting and needing those things the pros had and becoming more willing to spend the money in order to get it. Other than shopping for clothing (infrequently) at Sears, its been over 15 years since I shopped at Sears. I know that for sure because I moved since I frequented Sears. Now I have to Map Quest of GPS it. Fifteen or more years ago, all I had to do was follow the ruts I wore in the street from home to Sears :p

Dan Hintz
01-12-2014, 8:38 AM
There was a time, early in my trades career, later 70's and much of the 1980's when I bought a lot of Craftsmen tools, some for my machine shop job and a lot for after hours moonlighting jobs & home use mostly. Often their tools were good and a good value. At one time they were my first choice.

Exactly this ^^^. My mother worked for Sears for 25 + years as an employee trainer (back before they just threw people on the floor and expected them to pick up what they needed from the people they worked with... when they cared about true customer service). When they got rid of her job in the late-80's (?), it was the first real sign. I have a LOT of Craftsman stuff in the workshop, but it's all old... very few new Craftsman labeled items because the new stuff is essentially Harbor Freight (literally... same stuff, same manufacturer, different label). They even tried to get rid of their lifetime warranty on hand tools, but the judge said "You must be joking, right?" If I go for a tool purchase now it's with the exact same mindset as going into a Harbor Freight... I don't expect this to last long, so it needs to be cheap.

Matt Meiser
01-12-2014, 11:33 AM
Borders was pushing their loyalty club real hard leading up to their demise as well.

Sears' stock response to any criticism essentially seems to be "nah ah."

Paul McGaha
01-12-2014, 11:37 AM
I'm really sorry to read all this about Sears.

My wife still prefers Kenmore appliances.

I put Die-Hard batteries in all of our vehicles.

The tools that I've the longest are Craftsman wrenches and socket sets, some of them almost 40 years old.

I'd be sad to see them go.

PHM

Jeff Erbele
01-13-2014, 1:15 AM
I remember when "Sears" used to be synonymous with "good stuff"- Kenmore applianaces, DieHard batteries, Craftsman tools, yeah baby, good stuff!

Now it's just "the other K-mart".

Those were the reasons I use to shop at Sears so much, such diversity and all of it was pretty good or really good stuff, further it was either a good value or competitively priced, with frequent sales to boot.

Perhaps you did not know, Sears Holdings Corp, stock ticker SHLD, owns Sears, Sears Canada, and K-Mart. At the core, Sears and K-Mart are the same company.

Jeff Erbele
01-13-2014, 1:51 AM
I'm really sorry to read all this about Sears.

My wife still prefers Kenmore appliances.

I put Die-Hard batteries in all of our vehicles.

The tools that I've the longest are Craftsman wrenches and socket sets, some of them almost 40 years old.

I'd be sad to see them go.

PHM

Who knows what will become of Sears, but even if they go under or change into something else, alternatives already exist for the those things you want.

Sears does not make any appliances; they contract with the major appliance manufacturers to build and label them Kenmore. You can determine who made or makes which Kenmore appliance what HERE. (http://www.appliance411.com/purchase/sears.shtml)

Same with Diehard, major battery manufacturers build those also. My brother sells batteries and it is interesting to note that a 48 month battery is the same battery as a 60 month, or 72 month etc. They void of acid when he gets them from the wholesaler. When he sells one, he fills and charges it and puts the appropriate stickers and decals on it. the point is you are not buying a differently constructed battery. You are paying more for a longer warranty.

Craftsmen wrenches and sockets, well my Dad had some that probably are 60 plus years old now and still in use by my brother. I own some 35 plus year old ones and they are going to outlast me. Its been 20 some years since I had a need to do any serious wrench and socket shopping. I have a full mechanic set and rollaway as tall as my nose and those are still in fine condition, Craftsman and others. There are other good tools in the same price range. I found some great prices in the farm & ranch stores, at the auto parts stores and even implement & big truck dealers.

It was a sad day when the catalog sales ended, but businesses change. A bit ironic in that know they want to develop a larger internet presence. Yesterday's catalog is today's or tomorrow's e-catalog, the same in that one can shop without going to a store and they ship it to you.

Jeff Erbele
01-13-2014, 2:42 AM
Borders was pushing their loyalty club real hard leading up to their demise as well. "

I view it as an alternative way to bring it cash and perhaps with desperation. One does not sell loyalty, one earns it. Sears already earned and had it, now they are destroying that.

Sears' stock response to any criticism essentially seems to be "nah ah."

As a full-time investor that is what I hear and read. The corporate leadership is deaf or defiant to criticism even if constructive in nature.

I don't think consumers are set on knocking Sears, they just want the old company back or the attributes that made shopping there very attractive and investors look for sales, earnings, profit, profit sharing thru dividends, growth and stock appreciation because of those things, making it an attractive position. The fact is sales have declined every year for at least the past 5, they stopped paying dividends on earnings because that picture is the same, there are none, they are operating at a loss year over year and the share price is on a multi-year downward trend.

Jeff Erbele
01-13-2014, 3:34 AM
Well, I placed an order for a tool from a local Sears store. Ordered it back in December , 2013 and was supposed to be in the store yesterday. Never came in. Store doesn't know where it is and I contacted Sears and they have no way of checking their computer system to find out where in the delivery process my order is located !! They said to call the store back.

Anyone know of a way I can find out where my order is from Sears ?

Contact Target Stores, they seem to have an abundance of customer information available to the public :D

Garrett Ellis
01-13-2014, 9:42 AM
Good luck. I have had 2 bad experiences placing orders online just within the last few months. 1 was a replacement part for an old craftsman table saw from parts direct. part was on back order, and they couldn't tell me any more info about how long it would take. i emailed/called a couple times over the next 2 months and finally someone recognized that my order was way behind and found the part for me. refunded shipping and additional 10%, but the part was still ~2.5 months late.

Another was placing an order to be picked up in store. Placed my order using a gift card, planning on picking up item the next day. Threw away (empty) gift card. Got an email the following day saying that particular store is out of stock, so they cancelled my order and refunded me. Despite the fact that there are several other sears stores in the area i could have picked up from, they just went ahead and cancelled my order like it never happened. Still waiting on a replacement gift card, hopefully this week.

I am very skeptical about any future sears shopping. Most likely, if i can't go into a store and put my hands on what i want, i will try to find it somewhere else. Just hope I don't need any more replacement parts from parts direct...