PDA

View Full Version : ? Wood Bowl

Rich Aldrich
01-11-2014, 5:15 AM
A friend wanted me to make a bowl out of a pice of wood that was in a taxidermy display. Her husband is a taxidermist and they rebuilt one of their displays. This was a piece of wood left over, so she wanted a bowl. I dont know what kind of wood it is but it has beautiful grain.

The bowl is about 6" diameter and 2 1/4 high. It is about 1/4" thick - I like heavier bowls.

Mike Cruz
01-11-2014, 11:07 AM
You are right, Rich, that is some pretty wood! I'm thinking it might not be domestic. The grain is awfully tight. But then again, I have no idea what it is, so I'll just say ELM. How's that for a random guess (that is likely SO wrong). :D I like seeing wood that has been...repurposed like this. Otherwise, it might have gotten thrown away or burned.

Looks like you got a nice smooth finish on it, too. I'm sure they will love it.

tom martin
01-11-2014, 3:33 PM
Nice piece, it looks like birch burl to me
Tom

Bob Bergstrom
01-11-2014, 9:16 PM
Nice work Rich, Looks kinda of like some type of fruit wood. Great job making it look its best.

Lee Koepke
01-11-2014, 9:17 PM
very nice. its amazing the unique finds we run across.

Pat Scott
01-12-2014, 8:45 AM
I was going to guess Elm also. I've never turned Birch so have no experience with it. Nice little bowl that your friend will no doubt be thrilled to get.

For a 6" diameter bowl, I don't consider 1/4" to be thick either. I'm curious why you print and sign your name? Never seen both before.

Dave Cullen
01-12-2014, 9:46 AM
Very pretty. How big was the blank, and what had been mounted to it?

Dennis Nagle
01-12-2014, 11:31 AM
Very nice work but you must have heat in your shop. It was -10 in S.E. Michigan the other day and I can't imagine the weather you got up there.

Rich Aldrich
01-12-2014, 9:11 PM
Thank you all for the comments.

Very pretty. How big was the blank, and what had been mounted to it?

The blank was oblong - about 7" wide x 11" long. It had been cut in half. I dont know what it was mounted to - there were not screw holes, but there were 4 holes in the blank where there was wire to hold the animal feet to the block of wood. The wire probably held it to the rest of the scene.

Rich Aldrich
01-12-2014, 9:13 PM
Very nice work but you must have heat in your shop. It was -10 in S.E. Michigan the other day and I can't imagine the weather you got up there.

Yes, my shop is heated. I heat with an outdoor wood boiler. It heats my house and shop. I went through quite a bit of fire wood. December wasnt too kind either.

Gary Herrmann
01-12-2014, 9:28 PM
Very nice rim on that!

Rich Aldrich
01-18-2014, 5:17 PM
I finally delivered the bowl today. They are quite positive the wood is maple burl.

Arlin Eastman
01-18-2014, 5:27 PM
Rich

My first response is this is red elm because I have use a lot of it before. Another wood it could be is Big Leaf Maple from out west.

Arlin

James Combs
01-18-2014, 7:10 PM
Rich
My first response is this is red elm because I have use a lot of it before. Another wood it could be is Big Leaf Maple from out west.
Arlin
I was going to say that it looks a lot like a Cherry burl but now that Arlin has mentioned BLM I could see that as well.
Great looking in any case.