PDA

View Full Version : pros and cons "snap lock" shop flooring

tom coleman
01-11-2014, 3:22 AM
Salesman's pitch: many colors, many pattterns, 15 year warranty, supports cars no problem, hot tires won't bother it $4.50 sq/ ft. installed.

Web site makes intallation look easy. Any body using it? Liking it or hating it?

Chris Fairbanks
01-11-2014, 5:20 AM
Race deck. Better product, us made, free shipping and cheaper. Check them out in flooring forum on garagejournal.com for more info and the forum discount. Great forum with a ton of info on garage flooring. Good luck

Mac McQuinn
01-11-2014, 11:19 AM
I've heard excellent things about "TechFloor", made in USA and if it's as good as their automotive floor liners, I would look seriously at it. http://www.techfloor.com/
There's lot of variables in flooring like this, I would try to get a sample to test drive before purchasing as a major project can get expensive.

Mac

Jamie Buxton
01-11-2014, 12:21 PM
Con: you already have a shop floor, right? Likely concrete. Works fine. Cost zero.

Buy tools, or better tools, instead. That will make a real difference in your shop, not plastic flooring.

Mac McQuinn
01-11-2014, 5:14 PM
While your cost analysis is correct, if you've ever worked/stood on concrete for hours on end, you will understand that it's terrible on joints. I worked (34) years on concrete and both knees are worn out as are my co-workers'. Price of a couple knee replacements? All of a sudden that newly installed, comfortable flooring seems like a bargain, plus you'll still have extra bucks leftover to spend on new/better tools to use.
Mac

Con: you already have a shop floor, right? Likely concrete. Works fine. Cost zero.

Buy tools, or better tools, instead. That will make a real difference in your shop, not plastic flooring.

Jamie Buxton
01-11-2014, 5:43 PM
While your cost analysis is correct, if you've ever worked/stood on concrete for hours on end, you will understand that it's terrible on joints. I worked (34) years on concrete and both knees are worn out as are my co-workers'. Price of a couple knee replacements? All of a sudden that newly installed, comfortable flooring seems like a bargain, plus you'll still have extra bucks leftover to spend on new/better tools to use.
Mac

The OP is talking about flooring that he says will support a car. That is, it is darn hard -- very much like concrete.

Mac McQuinn
01-11-2014, 8:09 PM
I have several friends with garages designed around their Hot Rods and equipment who have several different versions of the locking floors installed. Yes, they support a car although every floor I've walked across has a certain amount of give to it, A lot more give than concrete. The increased comfort is why they installed it.
Mac

The OP is talking about flooring that he says will support a car. That is, it is darn hard -- very much like concrete.

Kevin Nathanson
01-11-2014, 8:39 PM
I have 1382 sq. ft. of RaceDeck floor in my woodworking shop. I have also had 16 knee operations, and a few more to rebuild an ankle. The RD floor is most definitely easier on the body. I have a Felder slider and Timesavers SpeedSander that sit on it without much damage. The sander's casters do leave a bit of a divot, but that's over 1200 pounds on four small casters.

I put it in myself in two days. I used roofing felt paper under it to reduce the clicking sound. I only have one criticism of it. Static electricity buildup is significant. I get shocked regularly when touching any ferric metal around the shop. I'm not sure what one could do to prevent that; it would be interesting to ask the RD folks. I would use it again; the only floor I would prefer over it would be an end grain wood floor over wooden subfloor and joists. Given that I'm stuck with concrete, this was definitely the way to go.

K