PDA

View Full Version : Willow HF

Dennis Ford
01-10-2014, 7:57 PM
This HF is Willow that I turned this week. It is 12" diameter X 4" tall (came from a hollow tree and was only 4" between the bark and interior). I normally do not turn willow due to it being soft and fuzzy but this piece was too pretty to pass up. Finish is rattle can lacquer. Comments and critiques welcome.

Toby Bouder
01-10-2014, 8:25 PM
Wow, that is too pretty! I like it a lot.

Fred Belknap
01-10-2014, 8:36 PM
Nice form and nice wood. Most willows around here are pretty small. I have seen a few large weeping willows in peoples yards.

Jon Nuckles
01-10-2014, 8:46 PM
Pretty! I have avoided willow, but this might change things. Did you spot the curl from the outside?

Dick Mahany
01-10-2014, 8:49 PM
Beautiful piece! What techniques and lessons learned did you experience with Willow? I have never turned any of it.

Dennis Ford
01-10-2014, 9:31 PM
Jon: I was cutting the tree down as a favor for a landowner who had given me a red oak, I saw it had some curl and brought a piece home. It was dying and he was concerned that it might drop limbs on his cattle. I plan to return and get more of it. Plain grain willow is not worth the trouble in my opinion; I will be on the lookout for willow with figure in the future.

Dick: Willow holds lot of water when wet and is easy to cut while wet. It fuzzes up some when it dries and is stringy and difficult to cut when dry. The wood is quite soft and easily dinged up. When sanding it; start with a finer grit than you would normally because it sands easily but coarse grits can leave scratches that are hard to get out.

robert baccus
01-10-2014, 10:53 PM
Easily the purtiest piece of willow I have even seen. Looks like BL maple. Great shape and finish to boot.

Ryan Mooney
01-11-2014, 2:03 AM
That is some gorgeous quilting.

Usually I save willow for the BBQ (it makes a fantastic steak) but I can see why you made an exception here. Good eye on picking that out.

Rich Aldrich
01-11-2014, 5:17 AM
Beautiful wood. That is an interesting form. It reminds me of a space ship or what a UFO might look like.

Michelle Rich
01-11-2014, 5:54 AM
I've made furniture from willow and it's better than many folks think, BUT this willow is astounding. Good job & good eye

Doug Herzberg
01-11-2014, 7:49 AM
Pretty! I have avoided willow, but this might change things. Me, too. I also like the form. There are so many willows. Do you know which it was?

Mike Cruz
01-11-2014, 11:01 AM
Yes, Dennis, willow is not often coveted. But it really can produce some very pretty blanks. This one is no exception. Simply beautiful, and I really like the form!