PDA

View Full Version : Turner's Tape

Julie Moriarty
01-10-2014, 2:48 PM
What's a good brand for turner's tape? I've been going through a lot of it lately. I bought some from Lee Valley years ago that I really liked and just ordered some more. I hate the new stuff! The adhesive sticks to the wood very easily and the plastic separator strip shrinks which shrinks the tape. There is no brand, it just says, "Made in Canada."

What's a good brand for next time?

wayne forsyth
01-10-2014, 3:34 PM
I have the Lee Valley tape also, with the same limitations. Rockler sells precut packages of tape that are available in different diameters. B
ought some, just haven't had a chance to see how it performs.

Reed Gray
01-10-2014, 3:49 PM
Okay, are you talking about the double sticky sided tape? If so, I get indoor/outdoor carpet tape at my local big box hardware store. Never use that type of tape while turning, but have found a lot of other uses for it.

robo hippy

Jim Burr
01-10-2014, 7:43 PM
+1...to be civil...I've never seem a definition of turners tape?

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-10-2014, 8:28 PM
Duck Brand, Indoor/Outdoor carpet tape (don't get the "indoor" type). It's cheap at Walmart and strong enough for light duty turning; just don't hang a lot of weight on it very far from the waste block.

Harry Robinette
01-10-2014, 9:56 PM
I've been using the Turners Tape from Woodcraft for over 10 yr's not one problem. There tape is a cloth type don't get there double sided pattern tape just ask for Turners tape.The only way to separate it is to PUSH not drive a chisel into the crack and it will slowly start to separate then just keep pulling. I did some platters for gift's a few years ago 16 to 19" with a 5" face plate covered with this tape.Put it on and put under pressure for 5 to 10 minutes. I get Woodcraft #15D25 1" wide the 2" I have not used it's #is 15D26.

Julie Moriarty
06-20-2016, 11:44 PM
I found it! So I ordered it and it is the same tape that has been bullet proof. :D

http://www.tapesolutionsinc.com

Michael Schneider
06-21-2016, 12:24 AM
tesa makes some very good double sided tape

Here is more than you wanted to know about tape :-) Included info applies to most brands of tape

http://www.tesatape.com/featured/technology_journal/download/12599629/12605890/tesa-tape-technology-reference-guide.pdf

Thom Sturgill
06-21-2016, 8:51 AM
Also remember that tape is pressure activated. So make sure to use some tailstock pressure to set it.

larry senen
06-21-2016, 7:31 PM
:)Doesn't anyone use white glue and a paper bag any more?

Len Mullin
06-21-2016, 10:11 PM
No, not unless it's absolutely necessary.
Len

Wade Holloway
06-22-2016, 5:02 PM
Which one did you get. They don't seem to have any "Turners Tape".

I found it! So I ordered it and it is the same tape that has been bullet proof. :D

http://www.tapesolutionsinc.com

Roger Chandler
06-22-2016, 5:42 PM
Which one did you get. They don't seem to have any "Turners Tape".This thread is over 2 years old.......the OP might not even see your request....just sayin'.

John Altberg
06-22-2016, 6:19 PM
This thread is over 2 years old.......the OP might not even see your request....just sayin'.

The OP resurrected this thread, so odds are she'll see it....just sayin'.

Wade Holloway
06-22-2016, 7:22 PM
Some of the replies were from yesterday and a few days before.

Curt Harms
06-23-2016, 8:05 AM
Anchor brand from Woodcraft years ago. I don't use it for turning but it works well for template routing. Quite strong in shear, not so strong in tension (so it's fairly easy to separate). The hard lesson I learned about tape and template routing was to make sure the template material is smooth. I didn't - which is why my router table insert opening has filler:o.

Julie Moriarty
06-23-2016, 9:36 AM
Which one did you get. They don't seem to have any "Turners Tape".
http://www.tapesolutionsinc.com/inpr.html - The Intertape double-sided tape is what I bought. It's the same stuff I got from Lee Valley years ago and holds like a vise.