PDA

View Full Version : The need to burn

Chuck Stewart
01-10-2014, 12:25 PM
Now that I have the snow piled a good three feet around my outdoor patio and fireplace, I'm thinking it would sure be nice
to start a fire out here in this warm 30 degree weather. It's been below zero the last few days and with this heat wave I feel
the need to burn some wood. But I've never been able to get an answer to the question does it harm an outdoor fireplace to
take it from frozen to heated in the wintertime? I tried google but had no luck finding an answer. Just wondering about the mortar
joints expanding. It's mostly flagstone with face brick on the front. I didn't build this thing for hot summer nights!

Steve Peterson
01-10-2014, 1:29 PM
No real evidence, but I would start a slow fire to drive out some of the moisture before cranking it up to full blast.

Steve

Jay Jolliffe
01-10-2014, 2:10 PM
Do what Steve said....Start slow to get rid of some moisture.

Chuck Stewart
01-10-2014, 9:36 PM
That sounds reasonable but my window of opportunity just went down the toilet....it's starting to rain and weather bug says for the next 10 hours. Guess I'll go inside and work
on the book collection.....boring

Brian W Smith
01-11-2014, 6:51 AM
The few that I have seen crack,have all be dead center,front....extending up from opening a foot or two.

But I hear ya on wanting to gather 'round the outdoor fireplace.We had one beautiful evening this week,dang near 50 degrees........but we had pressing biz,inside.