PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade my DC or add a wall unit?

Rob Price
01-10-2014, 12:25 PM
I've currently got a small basement shop. It conveniently has an under-the-stairs closet right in the middle of one wall where I put my current DC (Delta 1.5HP unit, 2 micron bag). It works fairly well, I'm only using one machine at a time. I have dedicated runs to my TS (~5ft), Bandsaw and router table (~8ft), and my miter saw (~12ft), all with 4" PVC pipe with flexible tubing where necessary. The problem is my lathe, I had to put it in a far corner of the shop and the run ends up being over 25ft, which is just too much for the DC. It's also where I generate the most sanding dust (all my other sanding is done hooked up to my shop vac or on a shop made sanding table). It's gotten to the point where I cough and wheeze after a day at the lathe.

I was contemplating moving up to a 2 or 3HP collector. Looking at the grizz canister collectors, I think I could fit the 2 canister 3HP unit in the closet where mine is now. The canisters seem shorter than the bag units. It would give me tons more CFM for all the tools. I would probably upgrade my main trunk to 6" PVC as well. But maybe that's overkill. I'm also looking at the wall mounted 1HP units. I could put one right next to the lathe as a dedicated machine. Shoot, for the cost of the big unit I could buy 3 and put one at each machine. So it's a good bit cheaper. The downside would be noise right at the lathe (although my current DC is pretty deafening anyways) and larger particles (the best I can find is the shopfox with a 2 micron bag compared to the <1 micron canisters). The plus of the bigger unit would supposedly be better dust collection shop wide. I don't want to waste money, but this is my health we're talking about.

About the same cost as the wall unit would be a personal air filter like a Trend air shield.

Thoughts?

RICHARD DYKE
01-10-2014, 4:47 PM
There is a thread on the lathe forum about dc. Everyone pretty well agrees that the air shield is the way to go. It is hard to do real dust collection at the lathe.

Nathan Callender
01-10-2014, 10:27 PM
I'd definitely do some type of respirator and a big Buffy air cleaner for the shop especially in the basement.

Mike Harvey
01-11-2014, 8:47 PM
you also might look at a 2nd stage filtering system to catch the larger pieces and keep them out of your DC system to begin with.. Just a thought.. one of the woodworking mag's just had a review of a few of them in the last month or so.

Bernie May
01-12-2014, 8:55 AM
the first thing you should do is get a Dylos DC1100 air monitor. You are just guessing what your air is like in your shop without one. You will be surprised how much dust drilling and sweeping put in the air.