PDA

View Full Version : Laserkerf

Mark Blumer
06-12-2005, 5:38 PM
Hi All,

The good news...I bought and installed a Laserkerf on my Bosch 12" miter saw. I tuned it and it is really accurate. The bad news...it is so accurate that it pointed out that the kerf width on my Forrest Chopmaster blade is not 1/8" as I thought. Rather, it is 7/64 (as the Forrest web site clearly states). Not really bad news except that I will not be able to use both sides of the laser line to sight for the cut. That is one of the advertised features of the laser unit.

Second question, for the trim carpenters out there: we installed new ceramic tile on most of the ground floor of my house. I now have to reinstall the shoe molding around most of it. I will have to shoot the nails horizontally because they might otherwise hit and crack the tiles. I have both a brad nailer and a 15g finish nailer. Any suggestions as to the proper fastener to attach the shoe molding?

Thanks,
Mark Blumer (East Lansing, MI)

Corey Hallagan
06-12-2005, 6:29 PM
Kewl on the miter laser. I have one on my ryobi,it isn't all that accurate but is a good quick reference to help line it up anyway. On the molding, I have dealt with the same, I primarily made sure that I located the studs in the wall around doors, corners etc. and shot the nail into the stud horizontialy as you say. If you have to put in a nail where there isnt a stud, I would still try to keep more horizontal and at an angle that you can get past the tile to the floor plate. For those situations I would use a 1 3/4 nail probably. I use a 16 ga. finish nailer that I use rather than my 18 ga. brad nailer s those are my two main guns.
Corey

Ralph Steffey
06-12-2005, 6:49 PM
18 gauge brad nailer is plenty heavy enuf and if you happen to hit a tile it won't hurt anything I also go back and caulk around the floor so this helps hold everything together. Just use a wet rag and wipe all the excess off makes a nice job.

Lee DeRaud
06-12-2005, 7:40 PM
I'll second Ralph's opinion: 18ga brad nailer. That's assuming I read your post correctly and you're talking about just the shoe molding (3/4" quarter-round or some such) rather than the actual baseboards.