PDA

View Full Version : 2nd World Sawmill

David Weaver
01-09-2014, 10:08 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02QWRo1W4II

Saw this a couple of weeks ago, and not sure which stihl that is, but it's one of the bigger ones and would wear the average guy out.

Freehanding lumber with a chainsaw....

James Conrad
01-09-2014, 10:47 PM
Pretty cool! The guy kinda sounds like Bob Ross, I knew he wasn't dead...

Brian Ashton
01-10-2014, 2:18 AM
I bet neither of them can hear anymore either.

Larry Edgerton
01-10-2014, 4:40 AM
Thats a hard how to hoe.....

Larry

Fred Perreault
01-10-2014, 6:36 AM
Until now, I thought that I was pretty good with a chainsaw over the past 50 years. That is a well kept rig, and it looks like the operator has done that a few times. I find it impressive. I wonder if the bare feet gives him more "feel" for his work? No boots, no chaps, no helmet, no eye protection.........

David Weaver
01-10-2014, 7:31 AM
Yeah, I definitely find if impressive, too. I'm not so much of a quack for mandated safety for the self employed, and am glad that the discussion didn't go that way.

If you think about it, he's turning those boards out pretty fast, too. I like the old stihl rig, too. Those old ones are heavy like rocks, but it's probably an advantage for that. It's a demon station of skill, for sure.

Ole Anderson
01-10-2014, 9:18 AM
And he knows how to sharpen a chain too. That thing really cuts, but he must be using a ripping chain, otherwise he could never cut that fast.

Clarence Martin
01-11-2014, 10:12 AM
Just think how fast that could be cut with a new Grizzly 14inch table saw using a Freud 30 tooth blade !

David Weaver
01-11-2014, 10:18 AM
And he knows how to sharpen a chain too. That thing really cuts, but he must be using a ripping chain, otherwise he could never cut that fast.

I was thinking the same thing. For having just the nose in the cut, it's really cutting fast. I think somewhere in the video, the guy says it's some type of mahogany. i'm really impressed by it, though, even though I've watched the video a half dozen times now. Pretty safe way to use the saw, too, always on the underside of the bar and out at the end.

Walt Caza
01-14-2014, 3:37 AM
Ya click these things and you takes your chances.
I enjoyed this video quite a bit.

It struck me that this is not just an amazing demo.
Those boys do that all the time.
If it was just one really strong example but not typical...
there is nooo way the helper would stand sooo close so casual.

If sawman was not steady regularly, the visibility helper would be jumpy-as-all-get-out!!
He really trusts him.
To me it seems to be business as usual.
Man he can really run that tool.

Thanks for the peek David
good post
w

ps
ya James, the commentating gentleman is chilled out like Bob Ross
me thinks he's been going slow on an island for a while
just easy, ya know...

glenn bradley
01-14-2014, 8:44 AM
Ya click these things and you takes your chances.

Ladies and Gentlemen, Walt Caza! Good to see you Walt. My PM box has been cleaned out now.